Stabilizer: Stabil v. FP-60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one would you guys recommend as a fuel stabilizer? FP-60 usually isn't advertised as that being the primary function, but I understand it also provides those benefits.

I would use the FP-60 It works great for me!
grin2.gif

I have used it to stabilize the fuel for a 2 year storage period without any issues... You could e-mail them and ask.
wink.gif

vinu,

I tried to determine the best fuel stabilizer and found out that it is impossible. All we have to go on is product marketing and anecdotal stories. MSDS's don't tell the whole story, as most of them contain over 90% naptha, with the rest being "proprietary ingredients".

If you really want to see a well marketed fuel stabilizer, go to the Pri-G website. They have all kinds of charts and graphs. AND, they claim their product will "make good again" fuel that is 5 years old.

Fwiw, here's the response I got from LCD regarding FP-60 and stabilization.

Vig,

Our customers have seen good results for winter stabilization in boats and
lawn equipment. Not sure if this stabilization would be in effect over a
year.

Regards,

LCD Inc Support

After doing some research, it seems that Stabil has pretty spotty results.

Pri-G seems to have a good following with the marine crowd, and apparently is ok 2-3 years at a time. I called them and they told me that once treatment of PRI-G is good for a year. After that, retreat the gas once a year.

Since FP-60 is questionable over a year, and I need to go about 1.5 years, I've decided to use PRI-G.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Stabil has never given me any problems. Works great.
There is also a 'Marine Stabil' available too.

I usually try not to keep fuel too long anyway. Too many problems with humidity, condensation, and moisture around here.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

I agree,i use Stabil also have stored gas for 2-4 years in different stuff and always seems to start and run..

I did not believe that FP60 had significant stabilization effects. Stabilization was listed as a specific feature of FP3000 and FP+ however.

I used to use Stabil, but a brand new snowthrower carb run dry before storage gunked up with Stabil treated fuel over the summer last year.

I have switched to the Amsoil stabilier product. So far so good, but not available at every corner store. *ALL* of my OPE fuel has stabilizer and FP+ mixed in all year. Demand for throwing snow and cutting grass varies so much you never know just how long the equipment or fuel will sit.

I posted a story on this very topic a couple of years ago. YMMV of course but I found that Stabil is extremely effective and FP less so. I have a Suzuki GS500 motorcycle, gets very little use during the winter. The first couple of years that I had it I used Stabil and it never had any trouble running on those rare warm winter days, or at the start of riding season in spring.

Then I tried using FP, and in the spring the bike basically wouldn't run. I had to keep the choke on and turn the idle set way up. Drained a bunch of gas out of the tank, topped it off with fresh gas, and took it for a spin. The moment when the old gas finally worked it's way through the fuel lines and carbs and the fresh gas made it to the engine was wild, the engine all of the sudden roared back to life, had to turn down the idle speed lest I lose control of the bike completely
shocked2.gif

Switched back to Stabil and have had zero problems.

So, I use FP during the riding season, and then switch to Stabil in the fall. Works for me
55.gif

jeff

Seems like most lawn equipment makers require that gas older than 3 months not be used, regardless if treated with a stabilizer or not. They must not believe the stuff works as advertised.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
There is also a 'Marine Stabil' available too.

I learned about this new marine Sta-bil recently. Did you (or anyone else) use it?

friendly,

When my workplace switched over to E-10 fuel last year I contacted Stabil and asked which product (Regular vs. Marine) would work best for our ag. and outdoor power equipment. His answer was "Both will work fine. If you use a lot of gas, use Marine STA-BIL as it gives more bang for the buck."

In other words, he did NOT tell me that the Marine formula was a BETTER product for E-10. Their literature and marketing implies that the marine formula is better for E-10. His answer did not.

Based on this, I am speculating that the Marine formula MIGHT simply be a more concentrated (used at 1/2 rate +/- vs. regular) form of the regular Stabil.

If you google all the marine forum rants about E-10, it's my OPINION that Stabil created/labeled a product to to capture a potential lucrative market. Just my opinion....I have no facts.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
friendly,

When my workplace switched over to E-10 fuel last year I contacted Stabil and asked which product (Regular vs. Marine) would work best for our ag. and outdoor power equipment. His answer was "Both will work fine. If you use a lot of gas, use Marine STA-BIL as it gives more bang for the buck."

In other words, he did NOT tell me that the Marine formula was a BETTER product for E-10. Their literature and marketing implies that the marine formula is better for E-10. His answer did not.

Based on this, I am speculating that the Marine formula MIGHT simply be a more concentrated (used at 1/2 rate +/- vs. regular) form of the regular Stabil.

If you google all the marine forum rants about E-10, it's my OPINION that Stabil created/labeled a product to to capture a potential lucrative market. Just my opinion....I have no facts.

Very informative, Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
. . .
I used to use Stabil, but a brand new snowthrower carb run dry before storage gunked up with Stabil treated fuel over the summer last year.
. . .

I just hate it when that happens to my snowblower. . .

Sorry, I simply couldn't resist.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
friendly,

Very informative, Thanks!

I won't repeat my results, they're similar to D.I.M.'s. As many of you know, I keep a relatively large stock of fuel on hand, about 50 gal, for the cars and the generator, for when we get 'caned. The only problem is nobody knows when, and when you do, it's too late. Anyway, I rotate my cans, each week putting the oldest, never more than maybe two months old, into one of the cars. When I fill them, I double-dope the gas, with a half-recommended dose of FP+ and a full dose of standard Sta-bil.

I don't know if this is something new in FL, quietly slid in beneath everyone's radars, but within the last 2-3 months, all the pumps are now sporting the "up to 10% ethanol" stickers. Used to be no stickers in FL, but on all pumps in AL. And the mpgs in the TCH seem to have dropped off some... Anyway, I'm now concerned about ETOH in our gas, and the storage implications.

The new Marine Sta-bil is a dark, evil purple color compared to the friendly cherry red of the standard product. That said, every indicator I see points to it being simply a dose-enhanced variant of the very effective original. Now I need numbers so I can see if the much-uprated price of the Marine stuff is justified by the content.

Anyone out in front of me on this question?
cheers3.gif

I use Stabil in my lawn mower fuel year round. I never have a spring season problem with the first start of my mower after it sits for the winter. Don't over think it is my recommendation. Just use Stabil and forget about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back