Stabil Ethanol treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Please help me understand this product....

I run pure gas (91 octane in MN) in my 1994 Yamaha 115 2 stroke.

Would this product actually allow me to run 10% 87 gas, without any adverse affects? I actually thought the older 2 strokes were really designed to run on a lower octane (like 87) gas, back in the day.

Thanks for the info....

1994 was before the ethanol got popular for gasoline. The ethanol may attack some of the materials in tye fuel system and start them to releasing crud. This crud would of course cause carb problems.

I run 10% in my 2000 merc 90 2stroke since new. I run marine stabil and seafoam fuel treatment. That combo has workes great even when the fuel is 6months old, I try not to let it get much older than that.

I also run a fuel water seperator between the tank and engine.

Unless they have magic unicorn tears in Stabil, nothing added to ethanol laced fuel stops it from absorbing water and dragging it through the fuel system. I've had more than one mechanic tell me "you can't stabilize alcohol...".

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
And why do we continue to be forced to use ethanol???!!?

Politicians from corn-belt states push for it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Thats a head scratcher of a question. CONTINUE RUNNING NON-ETHANOL GAS.

There, your question has been answered.
First post hit a home run.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
And why do we continue to be forced to use ethanol???!!?

Politicians from corn-belt states push for it.

There is a little truth to that. But I find it also interesting that those states where the stuff is made and those politician come from, one can get ethanol free gasoline everywhere, any day of the week. So while there is some truth to the idea that politicians from those ethanol producing states promote ethanol use, it is the individual states themselves who are to blame if one cannot get ethanol free gas if they want it. The Federal mandate is that 13 billion gallons of ethanol be used per year. It does not say that ethanol free gas cannot also be used and it doesn't care the blends involved. It can be used as E10, E15, E20, E30, E50, E85 or any variation on those blends. When 13 billion gallons of ethanol is used up, that is it per year. There is not even enough ethanol in the mandate to lace every gallon of fuel with 10%. And given the amount of 20% to 80% ethanol that is used, there is even less ethanol to blend at 10%. So if one cannot get ethanol free gas in their area, your problem is not the farm lobby, it is your own hired help in your own state capitol. Put the blame where it really belongs and own it. Don't blame others for your problems. It is election season. Make the most of it.

I have been on E85 (70% minimum per state regulations) exclusively for the last year since price spreads have been so favorable. Even with the lower mpg, it is still cheaper per mile to use than regular E10, and considerably cheaper per mile to use than E0 regular. I have no problem if others don't want to have ethanol in their autos. I am picking up the slack and using E85 exclusively. Just finished a road trip to Wyoming. Used E85 for the entire trip. I have used various blends of ethanol laced gasoline since the late 70's. I have no fear of the stuff. Have never had a fuel related problem. Maybe just dumb luck. Outside of forums like this, the topic never comes up in my area. Folks ether use it or they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back