Sta-Lube CV Joint Grease No. 1.5, good for tripod and CV joint?

I've read on this forum that the needle bearings in the inner tripod joint need NLGI No.1 grease (less viscous), the outer needs No. 2.

I read the product sheet for Sta-Lube and it says its NLGI 1.5. Maybe they mean for it to be for both inner and outer?

Why is it impossible to find tripod-specific grease in the US? The only readily available (via Amazon) No.1 grease I see is Mobil CM-W NO.1 but it doesn't mention tripod joints.

Does a tripod specific grease even exist?

factory Service Manual refers to two bellows kits that come with a grease pack. No specfics provided.

ok so I just spoke to CRC (Sta Lube) tech support and the guy told me its means for inner/tripod and outer.:love:

FWIW this is what I used on my BMW a long time ago and it worked fine. I’ve never seen a factory manual list different products for the two joints.

Thank you for posting this. I noticed the tripod grease was very light when my inner boot came off; so good to know. (y)
Ya man its been making me crazy trying to find the appropriate aftermarket grease.

FWIW this is what I used on my BMW a long time ago and it worked fine. I’ve never seen a factory manual list different products for the two joints.

Oh cool thanks Mr.

What's that supposed to be a picure of on the bottle?
Screen Shot 06-06-22 at 09.51 AM.jpg

If we’re talking about the Sta-Lube stuff sold in black tubes, it’s a black moly grease with a lithium complex thickener. That’s not to be used for inner tripod joints, but fine for the outer joint or Repzza type inner joints which are almost alike.

From what I hear, a Schaeffer’s grease along with Red Line CV-2 using synthetic moly(not MoS2) is fine for the needle bearings in a tripod joint. The OE grease in this doesn’t have moly. Organic black moly causes the rollers to skid vs. roll.

The grease supplied in a Honda or Toyota CV boot kit has a tan/brown semi-fluid grease for the inner tripod joint, and if the outer joint must be serviced, a thicker moly grease for the outer.

If we’re talking about the Sta-Lube stuff sold in black tubes, it’s a black moly grease with a lithium complex thickener. That’s not to be used for inner tripod joints, but fine for the outer joint or Repzza type inner joints which are almost alike.

From what I hear, a Schaeffer’s grease along with Red Line CV-2 using synthetic moly(not MoS2) is fine for the needle bearings in a tripod joint. The OE grease in this doesn’t have moly. Organic black moly causes the rollers to skid vs. roll.

The grease supplied in a Honda or Toyota CV boot kit has a tan/brown semi-fluid grease for the inner tripod joint, and if the outer joint must be serviced, a thicker moly grease for the outer.
which Schaeffer’s grease?

Back