ST Washer Fluid is Frozen !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
32.gif
No, I have never heard that. What ever happened to English. Just say: Buyer beware.

That stuff should not be sold here that late in the year. My tank better not tank bust. It will not be good if I need to use it and nothing comes out when on the freeway..........
crazy2.gif

FWIW, Menards also sells the summer weight "bug juice" up here in Minnesota as well. They are usually tying to clear it out in September/early october. It too is rated only to 32F. The color is more a blue green though - not the usual blue color.

In this climate, I never use the bug juice - to much of a chance of that stuff being in the reservoir when it freezes, which can be 9 months of the year.

I also look for the -30F rated versions and stock up when I find what I need at a good price.

Know what's crazy? The same winter fluid never freezes in my Yukon, but my wife's Saturn L300 has the washer fluid shooters on the hood and the lines freeze. I guess because the lines are real small, the very little volume of washer fluid can freeze. The engine heat doesn't seem to help.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Sometimes, you go weeks or months without using the washer fluid.

So, does that mean I can only use this stuff May-August, then I really need to excessively use up the gallon that the tank holds to put in the full test winter blend?
crazy2.gif

I NEED the lowest amount as being in Minnesota, it does get down to -30 to -35 !! Plus, I go ice fishing when it's super cold. I wanna be able to use it to see to get off the Lake !!!!!

I just use the winter stuff year round. There's some nice kind that I saw at Meijer that I plan on using next that's called "Rain-X 2-in-1" that has bug remover built-in to the washer fluid and stays liquid down to -25 if I remember right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
32.gif
No, I have never heard that. What ever happened to English. Just say: Buyer beware.

No kidding, all those [censored] Romans sneaking into our country illegally, introducing all these foreign words to our language. They'll be the ruin of our great nation!

I have upon occasion, added 90% rubbing alcohol to the tank because I had a lot of summer bug juice in there and winter was approching.
Don't know if that's a good idea.
I also have a bottle of windshield washer additive that lowers the freezing point of the summer stuff. Don't recall how much.
It's mostly alcohol too, I'd guess.

Am I the only one that changes his washer fluid twice a year? I do mine in fall and spring. On my '97 Maxima, it involves removing a lower splash shield to get to my reservoir, and a couple bolts on it. On my wife's '88 Nissan pickup, it is as simple as removing 3 easily accesible bolts. Now that I think about it, siphoning may be easier....
In Louisiana, a summer fluid is really great for our bugs. In winter, we do get temps in the 20's, so freeze protection is nice. Plus, the winter ones help remove the light frost from the windshield.

Thirdeye, I recently bought a gallon of the RainX All Season 2 in 1 orange fluid. I haven't changed fluids in either vehicle yet, though (I'm running behind, but it isn't excessively cold here yet). The RainX All Season supposedly protects to 0*F, and can remove bugs, too. May be adequate for southern use, but northerners would need better freeze protection (I'm origianlly from Ohio, so I can understand what happens up north). The RainX also applies water beading technology. It contains methyl alcohol.

Dwendt44, I think you may be referring to Prestone's "De-Icer Windshield Washer Additive". I have a bottle of that, too. It contains methyl alcohol, ethylene glycol, and isopropanol. Supposedly boosts freeze protection by atleast 20*F (not necessarily to -20*F). May be extremely worthwhile to people up north, even added to winter fluid. It helps repel road spray, removes light frost and ice, and reduces refreeze. I have it just for the added peace of mind, and for if I decide to visit family in Ohio during winter.

Dave

I've had the stuff be frozen and wouldn't come out of the lines. When doing the first am start. it would thaw of course when the car heated up or when it got warmer that day. But our winters down here isn't that bad so I don't stress too much over it. Sunday it was 67 degrees high on Dec 2nd.

Even winter fluids differ. Buy anything for summer, but for winter, get the expensive stuff. It will be good to -20F, and the cheap stuff freezes at +20F or so.

1) When did this +32 stuff come out to the market ??
21.gif

2) I've read there's the 32, 20, -20, -30 now. So, now we gotta call around or waste gas & time driving around to see who has what now ??
crazy2.gif

In a lab I worked in we'd have fun cooling down alcohol with dry ice until it flowed like syrup, dip flowers in and then touch them on the table to shatter them. If it's cold enough to make rubbing alcohol flow poorly you have other problems to worry about.

I but the -20 to -30 stuff on sale at the end of season for 50 cents a gallon, and then sometimes spike it with some rubbing alcohol to make sure that it can clear a bit of frost. If you're a detail freak you'll of course have to lash yourself while walking on your knees after using the windshield wiper fluid.

Originally Posted By: Dave H
Am I the only one that changes his washer fluid twice a year? I do mine in fall and spring.

I think you may be.

Quote:
Am I the only one that changes his washer fluid twice a year?

the words of a true bitogger that genuinely worries about having the correct fluid at all times!

freezing is not an issue for me, I use 20/20 concentrate year round.

Quote:
Am I the only one that changes his washer fluid twice a year?

Since the Summer stuff works so well, I just let the winter fluid get low come around late Feb/Mar then by the time I run out is close to April (where it still freezes, but not to much below 20) and fill with Summer fluid. Then come Sept/Oct let the summer run low and mix in the Winter.

Works for me..

Take care, bill

I went to ChinaMart & bought Prestone's stuff that's good to -34F.

Now I gotta get the +32F stuff out. It is a narrow slit on the top, so I just better use it excessively until it gets low.

Geez.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I always buy the stuff rated to -30F for winter because it seems the -25F (typical winter WW Fluid) fluid will freeze on the windshield when the temps approach 0 deg. F.

Finally someone feels my pain! I've never understood that! How can -25F fluid FREEZE on the windshield at +25F???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back