ST Synthetic worthy alternative to Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the post on syntec not being a true synthetic since it is Group III oil
deadhorse.gif
And I was wondering why not go the ST synthetic route. Some claim it to be a group III equivalent. At a much more attractive price I might add. Any good result? Thoughts?

For the price it is a good syn. I would go with whatever syn that is on sale if you must go that route. But I say if your not going over a 7K/9 month OCI and your car does not require syn. I would go the dino route.

SuperTech is WalMart's house brand. In the past SuperTech Full Synthetic was supplied by Warren performance Products (no relation to Warren Oil Co.), but that may no longer be true.

Both ST and Castrol meet a variety of specs, if your's is one use it. Both brands buy their Group III oil and the add pack from an outside supplier. Personally, I would feel comfortable running these oils 7-10K per oci depending on driving conditions.

ST is a good deal for the $$$. Castrol is not, may as well buy M1, Amsoil or another PAO based oil. Consider Pennzoil Platinum, its Group III but at $4 a quart at Walmart its priced right.

I ask because I want to do 5-6K OCIs so as not to void my warranty and I have an older 99 that I could extend the OCI.
One oil in the garage would keep it simple.
Any UOA on ST synthetic to validate its worthiness?
Anyone using it on a regular basis?

Quote:

I ask because I want to do 5-6K OCIs so as not to void my warranty and I have an older 99 that I could extend the OCI.

Welcome trixman. There is plenty of info on Supertech oils. Run a forum search with the keyword "supertech". You'll find UOA's and more. I have been using ST for a long time and my vehicles really like it.

VSOT is a better choice over SLOB.
Syntec is a better oil over Supertech. I've used both & my cold fast idle - plus regular idle smoothness - improves with Syntec. The rest may be a tie .. I dunno! I'm not tearing down my engine after each OCI to find out.

Why not just buy an oil that doesn't NEED an oil boost right out of the bottle?

Putting in additives is just guesswork in my humble opinion. But, hey, to each his own.

^^^ I'm not being hateful, by the way. ^^^

I've just come to the point where I buy a high quality oil and filter and rest easy at night knowing my cars are in good (oily) hands.

Benny: Street Legal Oil Boost is made by CD2. It is being "blown-out" at cheap prices at a store down in the U.S. called "Big Lots". I suspect that CD2 is no longer making it and is trying to clear out their stock of it via Big Lots. And yes, it is an oil additive. Here is a VOA (virgin oil analysis) on SLOB so you can see what's in it:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=0#Post474725

VSOT = Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment

Last edited:
Quote:

They can't void your warranty by going longer than 5000 miles and they can't specify any particular brand of oil either. You only need to understand "recommended" is not the same as "required" Change oil to what brand you like as long as it meets or exceeds your vehicles motor requirements, and if you have good analysis done periodically, you can leave it in there a long time without voiding warranty. This is also covered elsewhere on this forum site. Check out, in a search here and in some search engine like Google Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act

welcome.gif
trixman
cheers.gif

I use ST synthetic in our new Trailblazer. I still do the 3000 mile OC. I know its overkill to some to use a 3000 OC, and not use the GM OLM... Old habits die hard. Currently have 11000 miles and ST has been used for all OCs.
1st OC @ 6705miles
2nd OC @ 7005 miles ( to kinda rid any residual break in oil)
3rd OC @ 10153 miles
BTW, I get emails from onstar...and they say the 2nd OC is due around 18000 miles.. I just for the life of me can't use that.
ST is fine by my truck.. Hey, maybe I should do a UOA later on as ST has been the only oil used in this new vehicle
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back