ST Asian Red 50/50

9F6EB4C0-C89B-407E-B855-918D106BD726.jpeg

E0090F0E-0B97-4E69-AA43-ABBA780474EB.jpeg

Ordered 2 gals from WM - this jugs are rumored to being the Recochem version. The label specifically mentions it being a “phosphate Organic Acid Technology coolant,” so I wonder if this confirms that it does not contain 2-EHA.

Does anyone know if a coolant analysis can be done in a cost-effective manner?

That would require FTIR and/or gas chromatography along with reference standards and a trained technician. It would be cheaper to buy the known product or at least find an SDS. A spectrographic analysis would be useless here.

That would require FTIR and/or gas chromatography along with reference standards and a trained technician. It would be cheaper to buy the known product or at least find an SDS. A spectrographic analysis would be useless here.
A spectrographic analysis would not confirm the presence of phosphates?

A spectrographic analysis would not confirm the presence of phosphates?
No it cannot. An ICP decomposes every compound due to the extremely high plasma temperature. No compounds will survive that. And the test only correlates to the spectrum of atoms and mostly only metallic elements. Although some ICP machines can test for phosphorus one has to be careful of the precision and sensitivity for metalloids.

That looks like a Recochem jug, and it's made in Canada, so it's definitely Recochem.

I saw the same Recochem bottles, and I'm glad they use that now instead of Prestone :D

If you can locate the SDS(Safety Data Sheet), this will tell you the chemistry of the coolant...if you can understand it.
What additives it has(or NOT) and whether it states that it has no 2-EHA.

My understanding is, (from a BITOG friend); that if the SDS doesn't specifically state that the chemistry has no 2-EHA, then it does in fact have it.

..... so I wonder if this confirms that it does not contain 2-EHA.....
Unless something has changed with the PDS/SDS, i.e. more detailed Inhibitor pack info, I'm going to say no. Prestone had/has 'what they call(ed) Asian AF' Phoat that used 2eha in the inhibitor pack. So, calling an AF and Asian PHoat apparently doesn't mean it doesn't have/use 2eha.

And while Kost (current manufacturer) of Cincinnati is apparently a subsidiary of Recochem, I can't 'assume' it's the same Recochem (CA) labeled or PepBoys OEM brand Asian labeled AF.

All that said, same as 'true' Asian Phoat it's possible it doesn't use 2eha as inhibitor. Too bad Kost not more forthcoming with inhibitor pack info.

Its a KostUSA(aka recochem) product. I'd doubt that it has 2eha. Recochem/OEM-brand has a positive reputation.

Lets not spread or create negative rumors concerning Recochem products or subsidiaries.

I will have no problem using this in my Toyotas.

I haven't seen 2-eha coolant without the 2eha mentioned in the sds. So, since the Walmart Red OE doesn't list 2eha in the sds, then I'll assume that it doesn't.

No it cannot. An ICP decomposes every compound due to the extremely high plasma temperature. No compounds will survive that. And the test only correlates to the spectrum of atoms and mostly only metallic elements. Although some ICP machines can test for phosphorus one has to be careful of the precision and sensitivity for metalloids.

What is the phosphorous in this sample?

Back