SSO 0w30 Summer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I wonder if its good idea to run 0w30 during summer time ?
Car Mazda 3 - Aspirated driving style .. It could get hot from time to time ...

Mazda Recommends 5w20 year round.

Cheers,
N.

If the ambient temperature is constantly above 110F/45C during summer months, then it may be okay to use a little thicker oil, otherwise follow your owner manual. You may want to use a little thicker xW20 such as M1 5W20 EP.

Well.. Im asking more because I have SSO right now in my car and wonder if 0w its ok for it for summer

If you're looking for a really good 20 grade oil the Amsoil ASM 0W20 is very good and a fairly thick 20 grade. I see from you're already an Amsoil guy, the ASM is getting some great UOA's. Besides your car calls for a 20 grade oil.

The 0w-20 is the best choice for your car while the SSO will not hurt anything. It is hard to beat the ASM in anything requesting a 20wt oil these days. Do not even payment attention to the "0W" portion when thinking of summer.

Using that Amsoil is probably much better than simply OK.
When the engine is good and hot and driven hard, you have an oil that is slightly thicker for possible better protection.

Thx Guys,

So I guess no need to dump SSO and go with xxW20 ?

Last edited:
According to Amsoil SSO is good for just about any 20wt or 30wt application, if you plan on an extended drain interval. If your car calls for a 20wt oil the ASM is the best choice for those applications. Sleep easy the SSO won't hurt the car! Use it up!

SSO will be a tank in your engine....keep running it until the finances work out then start using ASM. My Ford liked it, but I'm using XL 5W20 right now. No worries for the summer!

I ran SSO 0w30 in the summer over 2 changes and both UOA's came back very well. I use my car for work and run the A/C constantly in the summer and do some excessive idling while writing up reports on my laptop in the car. No dilution, excellent wear numbers and great TBN after 10K KM (6K Miles) and an EAO filter.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If the ambient temperature is constantly above 110F/45C during summer months, then it may be okay to use a little thicker oil, otherwise follow your owner manual. You may want to use a little thicker xW20 such as M1 5W20 EP.

He's from Canada, how hot can it get there, really.

We get up to 100oF in the summer here... It's a pain, because we can't keep our igloos from melting.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
We get up to 100oF in the summer here... It's a pain, because we can't keep our igloos from melting.
grin2.gif

crackmeup2.gif
Yes 100 is hot. I can remember driving to work at 6am in South Texas and have it be 98 degrees and 70% humidity! My dayum taco's keep melting!
grin2.gif

I'm not a person who loves heat. While visiting Vegas during the summer the locals call it dry heat, I laugh. My oven is dry heat too. Beer B-Q weather for sure!
10.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm not a person who loves heat. While visiting Vegas during the summer the locals call it dry heat, I laugh. My oven is dry heat too. Beer B-Q weather for sure!
10.gif

Did you stop at Baker, the town at the start of Death valley Road/Hwy 127 between Vegas and Barstow on I-15 ? The temperature at Baker in summer is about 10-15 degrees higher than Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back