SSD Use During YouTube or Streaming

In general, how much torture a given
SSD drive can take varies according to the nature of its enclosure. Some will let you drive a car over them. Others might be designed to handle just a short fall off a desk, and not much more
Are we talking about the same thing here? NVMe SSD's don't have an enclosure, only the SATA ones do. It kinda sounds like you are talking about conventional spinning disks?

There isn't an SSD on the planet that shouldn't survive a fall off a desk, they are like a stick of RAM.

On the left is an NVMe one, on the right, SATA:
JRTXZuoBQ4OiGolc4AEgDg_thumb_1495.jpg

There were some reports of excessive writes to the integrated NVMe SSDs on the new M1 MacBooks/Mac Minis. However, streaming doesn’t hit storage. Compute(CPU and if you have one, GPU) and bandwidth is more important.

Are we talking about the same thing here? NVMe SSD's don't have an enclosure, only the SATA ones do. It kinda sounds like you are talking about conventional spinning disks?

There isn't an SSD on the planet that shouldn't survive a fall off a desk, they are like a stick of RAM.

On the left is an NVMe one, on the right, SATA:
View attachment 74775
The OP wasn't specific in which
type of drive and I replied to him and not your NvMe post.

The OP wasn't specific in which
type of drive and I replied to him and not your NvMe post.
But you said SSD.... Both drives I posted are SSD's, one's just NVMe, the other SATA. Both have no moving parts. I could throw them across the room and they'd both survive without an issue.

There were some reports of excessive writes to the integrated NVMe SSDs on the new M1 MacBooks/Mac Minis. However, streaming doesn’t hit storage. Compute(CPU and if you have one, GPU) and bandwidth is more important.
Yes, @bunnspecial has posted a lot of great info on this issue with the M1's.

All things have a finite life. IT has replaced three disk-based hard drives in the past 6 months and they were on computers that were only 3 years old. They get a lot of use but these are name-brand drives in Dell business computers. When they replace them with SSDs I don't worry about it.

But you said SSD.... Both drives I posted are SSD's, one's just NVMe, the other SATA. Both have no moving parts. I could throw them across the room and they'd both survive without an issue.
SSDs are far more resilient than HDDs for sure.
But are not fool proof as you suggest. Nobody would throw SSD drives across the room and expect them to survive.
Come on.........

My wife and I had 4 offices, now down to three, for the last 17 years. I am IT for the 8-10 computers at each location, and have been building each computer as needs arise. As the office software has continued to gain in complexity, the computers are always being upgraded, usually after 3 years. These are not gamers, so normally I use integrated processors. Since SSDs came on the scene they have been a godsend, as they fail so rarely that its no longer a concern, compared with the old HDDs. Also space saving, now especially with the M.2 drives. The key is spending a couple more bucks and getting the most reliable, Samsung, HD, and a couple others.

In fairness I bought this in Oct of 2010 and it was not supposed to be that great
and it still lives today although I don't use it much. All the others RIP

Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 2.5in 40GB SATA II MLC Solid State Drive, Model: MKNSSDCL40GB-DX

SSDs are far more resilient than HDDs for sure.
But are not fool proof as you suggest. Nobody would throw SSD drives across the room and expect them to survive.
Come on.........

I've worked professionally in IT for over 20 years. I'll gladly throw that Kingston across the room right now, plug it into a a USB connector and it'll work. There's nothing that's going to be shock impact damaged inside an SSD, that's the 2nd biggest benefit of them, the primary of course being the massive speed increase over a spinning disk.

Now, if I go put a .308 round through it, that's going to kill it, because I'm destroying the PCB, but just like with a stick of RAM, as long as you aren't bending it, breaking the solder joints on the PCB or destroying it with ESD, they are incredibly durable. This goes doubly for those securely mounted inside a protective aluminum housing like the SATA ones.

I'm not saying they are "fool proof". They are vulnerable to certain conditions/exposures (like ESD) and of course they can suffer a component failure like any other piece of IT equipment. However, they are not vulnerable to shock impact unless you reach the point of physical damage to the PCB or its components, which requires considerable force given how light they are.

I've worked professionally in IT for over 20 years. I'll gladly throw that Kingston across the room right now, plug it into a a USB connector and it'll work. There's nothing that's going to be shock impact damaged inside an SSD, that's the 2nd biggest benefit of them, the primary of course being the massive speed increase over a spinning disk.

Now, if I go put a .308 round through it, that's going to kill it, because I'm destroying the PCB, but just like with a stick of RAM, as long as you aren't bending it, breaking the solder joints on the PCB or destroying it with ESD, they are incredibly durable. This goes doubly for those securely mounted inside a protective aluminum housing like the SATA ones.

I'm not saying they are "fool proof". They are vulnerable to certain conditions/exposures (like ESD) and of course they can suffer a component failure like any other piece of IT equipment. However, they are not vulnerable to shock impact unless you reach the point of physical damage to the PCB or its components, which requires considerable force given how light they are.
No problem here.
I just handle those kind of components with care.

No problem here.
I just handle those kind of components with care.

Clearly, I'm not suggesting people should arbitrarily lob their storage media across the room. Attention given to avoiding ESD is especially warranted here, where in the case of an exposed PCB like on an NVMe drive, clear vulnerability exists.

My point is that shipping an SSD that's suitably isolated from ESD in a padded mailer should have no impact on the operation of the device, because physical shock that isn't intense enough to cause physical damage is not a concern point. If I order wholesale less than 5 SSD's from one of my suppliers, they'll arrive in a padded mailer with an elastic around them. This is the packaging they are in, just some plain plastic over the top, zero padding:
y73UXKIDRFO13QPQiR+uPg_thumb_1496.jpg

I've ordered what must be hundreds of them at this point for various projects that I'm overseeing and we've had no failures.

Linus and Electroboom did a video on ESD, it’s actually very very hard to outright kill hardware with even absolutely ridiculous levels of ESD. Granted, you still should be careful and they can’t really test if the lifespan was affected but it was impressive the amount of abuse the components could take.

I also caught my middle child using a 2.5” SATA SSD as a roller skate… it still works fine lol

Linus and Electroboom did a video on ESD, it’s actually very very hard to outright kill hardware with even absolutely ridiculous levels of ESD. Granted, you still should be careful and they can’t really test if the lifespan was affected but it was impressive the amount of abuse the components could take.

I also caught my middle child using a 2.5” SATA SSD as a roller skate… it still works fine lol

Yeah, the ESD emphasis I think stems from the earlier years of computing where components weren't so durable. When I first started working on computers, which was when I was about 8 years old, I had no idea about it of course. By the time I was 10 (1990) I had read about how it could damage semiconductor components and how you were supposed to wear an anti-static wrist strap or at least keep yourself grounded. Of course SIMM's or DIMM's weren't a thing then, even when my dad bought a TI 486SX/25 laptop, it took RAM that had pins that you had to push into the board.

That concern and cautionary principle carried well forward into today where it is still advised, despite increased durability and resiliency that has made its way into these components.

Little side note-

When I first set up my Mac Pro 1,1 that I use to use at work, I stuck a 256gb Kingston in it.

When the Mac Pro 1,1 was introduced, SSDs weren't really "a thing". The MP 1,1, 2,1(which is really a 1,1 with 3.0ghz quad core CPUs-the same ones my MP 1,1 has in it now) and 3,1 all use the same drive sleds, and I THINK a factory SSD sled existed for the 3,1 but it's quite rare. The only adapters I'm aware of are $$$. The situation is a little better with the 4,1/5,1, especially as SSDs were a lot more common when the 5,1 was discontinued, although when I set up my 5,1 I just skipped SATA SSDs all together and went straight to PCIe(mine is still running Apple branded AHCI SSDs, although I could and maybe someday will put NVMe in it). The SATA bays on my 5,1 have a couple of spinners scattered around them, but they're mostly junk bin ones I tossed in as things like scratch disks, and then one big one for on-board time machine.

In any case, as a temporary thing, I just shoved the SSD into one of the SATA ports on my 1,1 and left it there. I used it for a year, and didn't really even think about it because the computer never moved. When I pulled it apart to upgrade the CPUs, I realized the SSD was just hanging there, so went and grabbed some velcro for the SSD and the computer case and secured it with that. The drive is still there like that, and I have zero concerns about it.

Little side note-

When I first set up my Mac Pro 1,1 that I use to use at work, I stuck a 256gb Kingston in it.

When the Mac Pro 1,1 was introduced, SSDs weren't really "a thing". The MP 1,1, 2,1(which is really a 1,1 with 3.0ghz quad core CPUs-the same ones my MP 1,1 has in it now) and 3,1 all use the same drive sleds, and I THINK a factory SSD sled existed for the 3,1 but it's quite rare. The only adapters I'm aware of are $$$. The situation is a little better with the 4,1/5,1, especially as SSDs were a lot more common when the 5,1 was discontinued, although when I set up my 5,1 I just skipped SATA SSDs all together and went straight to PCIe(mine is still running Apple branded AHCI SSDs, although I could and maybe someday will put NVMe in it). The SATA bays on my 5,1 have a couple of spinners scattered around them, but they're mostly junk bin ones I tossed in as things like scratch disks, and then one big one for on-board time machine.

In any case, as a temporary thing, I just shoved the SSD into one of the SATA ports on my 1,1 and left it there. I used it for a year, and didn't really even think about it because the computer never moved. When I pulled it apart to upgrade the CPUs, I realized the SSD was just hanging there, so went and grabbed some velcro for the SSD and the computer case and secured it with that. The drive is still there like that, and I have zero concerns about it.

Yup, I bought the little jumper harness and mine is just sitting in the spare ODD bay in my MP (mine is a 5.1)

Yup, I bought the little jumper harness and mine is just sitting in the spare ODD bay in my MP (mine is a 5.1)

The 1,1s are honestly fun machines-to me in some ways they're more fun to tinker with than 5,1s.

I mention all of that to lead up to something that I did in the optical bay of mine.

First of all, Apple shipped the 1,1 with ATAPI ODDs. They also, though, "hid" SATA headers on the LoBo, and most folks who were/are still using them(after El Capitan, the community around them sort of started falling apart since there was no way to coax something newer onto them) and wanted an ODD put a SATA drive in.

Needless to say, I did the same.

With that said, I had one particular PC at work interfaced to a GC-MS that at the time was running Windows 98. The I/O software supposedly didn't support anything newer, but I didn't want to try since I didn't have the install media for it.

Windows 98 USB drive support is iffy at best, and mostly non-existent, and data files ~1.5mb each, so it was hit or miss as to whether or not I could even fit a single file on a floppy disk(much less the multiple ones often needed). So, I did the only logical thing and put a ZIP drive in it.

I was sitting in my office one day fighting with my external ZIP drive and my eyes wandered over to the "computer parts shelf" from systems I'd torn apart and surplused where I had a pile of both ATA and SCSI internal ZIP drives. My eyes went back to the second optical bay in the 1,1, and a few minutes later my MP 1,1 had an internal ZIP drive. A strategically placed piece of wood held the optical bay door open. And yes, it worked perfectly in OS X El Capitan. The system recognized it for what it was, it read and wrote correctly, showed the appropriate icon on the desktop, and it ejected correctly.

The 1,1s are honestly fun machines-to me in some ways they're more fun to tinker with than 5,1s.

I mention all of that to lead up to something that I did in the optical bay of mine.

First of all, Apple shipped the 1,1 with ATAPI ODDs. They also, though, "hid" SATA headers on the LoBo, and most folks who were/are still using them(after El Capitan, the community around them sort of started falling apart since there was no way to coax something newer onto them) and wanted an ODD put a SATA drive in.

Needless to say, I did the same.

With that said, I had one particular PC at work interfaced to a GC-MS that at the time was running Windows 98. The I/O software supposedly didn't support anything newer, but I didn't want to try since I didn't have the install media for it.

Windows 98 USB drive support is iffy at best, and mostly non-existent, and data files ~1.5mb each, so it was hit or miss as to whether or not I could even fit a single file on a floppy disk(much less the multiple ones often needed). So, I did the only logical thing and put a ZIP drive in it.

I was sitting in my office one day fighting with my external ZIP drive and my eyes wandered over to the "computer parts shelf" from systems I'd torn apart and surplused where I had a pile of both ATA and SCSI internal ZIP drives. My eyes went back to the second optical bay in the 1,1, and a few minutes later my MP 1,1 had an internal ZIP drive. A strategically placed piece of wood held the optical bay door open. And yes, it worked perfectly in OS X El Capitan. The system recognized it for what it was, it read and wrote correctly, showed the appropriate icon on the desktop, and it ejected correctly.
That's awesome!!! LOL!

I have an old SCSI ZIP and an parallel ZIP drive here in my parts pile somewhere. Also had a JAZ drive, but haven't seen it in a while. That's quite ingenious!

Did you ever play around with the higher density 3.5" floppy drives? I had one of the 2.88MB ones but it was pretty shady.

Back