SS and Medicare in big Trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
Oh boy, so when you are getting an advantage over the rest of the insured in your group, you choose to. When you are getting a disadvantage over the rest of the insured in your group, you are forced to.

What "group" are you talking about?

The "risk group", or bin, that your insurance company put you in, based on how likely you need to file for a claim and how much to charge you.

Time to "go on a trip"
LOL.gif
You'll never get back to the point
LOL.gif

These systems will fail, since the USA is in competition with 2.5 billion people who live in nations that lack such expenses. There will be no choice but to drop them. There simply aren't enough old folks in China and India yet for them to worry about implementing SS systems there. Can the US ride it out for the next 20 years, waiting for the other two countries to be in the same boat?

The solution might end up being some kind of retirement outsourcing.

No. You just swell your population with immigration that produces more favorable demographics.

Like I said, you need people to fill the empty houses ..you need conductors and passengers to fill the empty trains. Workers to take up space, use electricity, use heat, use paper supplies, so that the office buildings aren't empty.

It really looks like an odd thing to do, just to pay bills.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
There simply aren't enough old folks in China and India yet for them to worry about implementing SS systems there.

There are, except that in the culture the kids have to pay for their parents' health care expense, and the parents pay for everything that the kids need in their life like housing down payment, child care, etc.

That's the reason why many people want to have a son, and the more kids you have, the more "insurance" you have when you get old.

but most people are only having 2, maybe 3 kids now a days. some folks are not having kids at all. Many women are career women and didn't have kids. so what's going to happen to these elderly women with no family in the next 35 years?

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
but most people are only having 2, maybe 3 kids now a days. some folks are not having kids at all. Many women are career women and didn't have kids. so what's going to happen to these elderly women with no family in the next 35 years?

Don't know. People's expectation is much lower there and in the worst case, they either tough it out or die. Most people don't get hip replacement, triple bypass, or even surgery when they have late stage cancer. Life is pretty disposable there, and in that regard they are more capitalist than we are.

We are spoiled here in that state, because like Tempest said, most people think medical care is a right. In the worst case you just refuse to pay the bill and let the hospital and debt collector foot it.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Need to find a way to tax the colonies...

We already do. Petro$$ assure that you have to have $$ to settle your petro debt. So, in some free market manner, you have to get US$. Millions of people just slaving away for slips of green paper. It's all very Prêt-à-Porter.

If people don't plan for their future and take care of themselves, bad things will happen to them. I see no reason why people that have taken care of themselves should be forced to pay for those that have not.

Not everyone in this country can have a high paying job with benefits like health insurance. There will always be a gap between the haves and have nots. This is becoming wider by companies dropping wages and healthcare and pensions and healthcare plans becoming unaffordable for people that can barely pay living expenses. Peoples plans don't always work out.
Some come from bad homes and bad enviornments that shaped their minds and lives and they just can't seem to climb out of the situation they are in. Think about it: If your father was a doctor and your mother a lawyer, what would be the probability that you would end up going to college and getting a great job? Now take someone who grew up with a parent on welfare or a low paying job like working as a cook or maid or something. What is the probability that they will do as well as the first example?
Possible, Yes. Probably No.

You live in Vegas Tempest. The way you talk I thought you lived off the land in the mountains or something like Grizzly Adams. You act like you need no one and nothing.

The difference between then and now and other countries and us is that we don't take care of our own like other countries do and how we did in the past. Multi generations don't live together and take care of one another. It is a Me, me society and lets screw others and step on them if they get in the way.

Last edited:
ZZMan, family is the biggest loss that we all as both individuals, and as a society have lost due to the "move to where the jobs are" society.

Traditional societies, the old people cared for the young'uns, while the parents were at work/toil. The old people were housed and looked after by their family.

Now the old people need to find/pay for accomodation.
Their children need to pay for someone to care for their own children so that they can earn a living away from the family unit.

It's pathetic.

And the only answer from either end (old or young) is more money, not love or care.

At least it keeps the moneygoround twirling.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

It's pathetic.

+1. and pointless. no one i speak to seem to have a sense of "quality of life" anymore.

I do however think we are moving in the right direction because people are talking about it

There's always struggle in the retreat/contraction. It only took one ..maybe one and one half generations to abandon the multi generational household. I don't know if we can easy retrace the path to return there. We had the grand fortune of having my mother with us as the kids were growing up. A blessing that we still give thanks for today.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

You live in Vegas Tempest. The way you talk I thought you lived off the land in the mountains or something like Grizzly Adams. You act like you need no one and nothing.

I might get flamed by Tempest for this. He works in the travel industry, and in Vegas. Which means that the people there are very polar. You are either well off and have everything, or you are a criminal low life that has nothing. If you work hard you will make it.

The nation as a whole is not as polar, and people are always in a better mood and not having to deal with problems when they are traveling, therefore he probably didn't see the stress that the "well off" folks have to deal with when they get back home.

My impression of the Vegas area is also fairly black-and-white. You are either good or bad, rich or poor, and not so much middle of the pack Joe-six-pack.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my observation.

Quote:
He works in the travel industry, and in Vegas.

I work in a millwork shop currently, and have for sometime. I have never worked in the travel industry.

Quote:
My impression of the Vegas area is also fairly black-and-white. You are either good or bad, rich or poor, and not so much middle of the pack Joe-six-pack.

You have no idea. Have you even been here? I AM middle of the road Joe six-pack...

I work in a millwork shop currently, and have for sometime. I have never worked in the travel industry.

I though in a thread about whether you are going to spend more money or not, you mentioned you are in the travel industry.

Quote:
You have no idea. Have you even been here? I AM middle of the road Joe six-pack...

Yes, multiple times.

Quote:
The difference between then and now and other countries and us is that we don't take care of our own like other countries do and how we did in the past. Multi generations don't live together and take care of one another. It is a Me, me society and lets screw others and step on them if they get in the way.

And do you wonder why that is? If gov. promises to "take care" of elderly people, there is no reason to have a multi-generational culture.
If gov. takes care of everyone that has a sob story then there is no reason to do better and get off the gov. doles. If it's gov's job to take care of people then there is no incentive for family to do it.
You will find that where there is lots of government aid, there is destruction of family unity...and that is the prime goal.

You will find that where there is lots of government aid, there is destruction of family unity...and that is the prime goal.

What are you smoking? I want some of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back