SRT brake life and Brembo life in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yikes!
crazy2.gif

I've never paid for a brake job but I guess I am now! I'm not even sure how I'd go about compressing 6 pistons back into a caliper. I doubt using the old pad and a c-clamp is gonna work!
grin2.gif

Girodisc PST-01

2010 Genesis Coupe with the factory Brembo package. OEM pads sucked terribly and had little bite. Replaced with EBC Redstuff pads. I want to say I got around 60k on the fronts and like 90k+ on the rears before having to replace them again. My numbers may be a tad off, but they're close. It was multiple years...like 5 years at least for the rear EBC Redstuff pads to wear out.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
2010 Genesis Coupe with the factory Brembo package. OEM pads sucked terribly and had little bite. Replaced with EBC Redstuff pads. I want to say I got around 60k on the fronts and like 90k+ on the rears before having to replace them again. My numbers may be a tad off, but they're close. It was multiple years...like 5 years at least for the rear EBC Redstuff pads to wear out.
I put my Yellowstuffs on 6/2011. Still not worn out!

My 135i has an official curb weight of 3638lb, IIRC.

It has six piston Brembo calipers in the front, two piston in the rear.

I'm ashamed to show this, but after about 400 miles of mixed driving, and endless rain preventing a wash, this is the outcome...

The car has around 21k miles on it. All mixed driving.

Here are the measurements on the OE pads:

Rear:

Front:

I can't complain.

These six-pot brembos have ceramic pistons apparently can warp with excessive heat. Various companies sell metal pistons for refurbishment. Apparently the rotors are thinner than E90 M3 rotors so get hotter and transfer more heat to the caliper. The M3 brakes have fewer pistons, but I'd prefer more rotor than more caliper. When they get replaced it will probably be two piece rotors.

For pads, here are the replacement costs with lifetime warranty:

Textar FE rated pads and Zimmerman rotors:

Stupid question - how do you best assess the backside pad thickness with the car on the ground? I can't imagine these "courtesy checks" remove all wheels.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Hyundai used Brembo rotors and pads OE but they cut down the front pads for some reason. Must have been wary of giving Hyundai owners too good of brakes.

DdkdoLM.jpg

Isn't that a chamfer to affect noise??

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hyundai used Brembo rotors and pads OE but they cut down the front pads for some reason. Must have been wary of giving Hyundai owners too good of brakes.

DdkdoLM.jpg

Top left. And no it is fully 1/3 of the pad cut away. I've bought the EBC, StopTec and Hawk and they have a slight chamfer but nothing like OE.

DdkdoLM.jpg

Top left. And no it is fully 1/3 of the pad cut away. I've bought the EBC, StopTec and Hawk and they have a slight chamfer but nothing like OE.

That's how you prevent callbacks on warranty when Hyundai has such a long one...

My 135i has an official curb weight of 3638lb, IIRC.

It has six piston Brembo calipers in the front, two piston in the rear.

I'm ashamed to show this, but after about 400 miles of mixed driving, and endless rain preventing a wash, this is the outcome...

The car has around 21k miles on it. All mixed driving.

Here are the measurements on the OE pads:

Rear:

Front:

I can't complain.

These six-pot brembos have ceramic pistons apparently can warp with excessive heat. Various companies sell metal pistons for refurbishment. Apparently the rotors are thinner than E90 M3 rotors so get hotter and transfer more heat to the caliper. The M3 brakes have fewer pistons, but I'd prefer more rotor than more caliper. When they get replaced it will probably be two piece rotors.

For pads, here are the replacement costs with lifetime warranty:

Textar FE rated pads and Zimmerman rotors:

Stupid question - how do you best assess the backside pad thickness with the car on the ground? I can't imagine these "courtesy checks" remove all wheels.

This is why Akebono pads are awesome, because they won't dust like that
smile.gif

The best way to assess the inner pad thickness is to assume it's the same as the outer pad
27.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Yeah, but they don't stop the car as well as BMW OEM pads, IME.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Yeah, but they don't stop the car as well as BMW OEM pads, IME.

Yes OE pads do bite well and are fairly quiet.

I'm going to look into two piece rotors next time though.

I have an '05 CTS-V with Brembo brakes. I was very happy with the rotor life, so when the pads wore out, I bought OEM pads from GM. The pads said Brembo right on them as did the box under a GM sticker. As experienced by JHZR2, the pads are Filthy, but quiet and smooth! My car is never tracked but is driven hard, and the pads lasted about 40,000 miles. The car is ready for rotors, and the Brembo pads wore out for the second time. I installed $12 Cenrtic metallic pads on the worn rotors until I could figure out what I wanted to do. I hated the feel at first. After driving the car for a while, I really grew to like the $12 pads, and they were way cleaner than the Brembo pads and never caused any issues.

Got the OEM pads and rotors installed today, total damage was $448.00 for the pads since Chrysler covered the rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back