Squeaky brakes a 300 miles after brake job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a hamster on his wheel at 2am. It only does it when you let off the brake pedal, no noise at all when braking.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Sounds like a hamster on his wheel at 2am.
lol.gif

Vibrational frequency most likely from either brake pads or rotors. First thing I would do is apply a little moly grease or sili glyde to back of brake pad. There is a special product you can put on back of them as well that dries into a rubber compound that can help with certain noises. If this doesn't fix then brake pad material is squeaking on the rotor and that would require different pads.

Sounds like a hamster on his wheel at 2am. It only does it when you let off the brake pedal, no noise at all when braking.

That's nice.

Do you want help on this? Perhaps you can share with us. Who performed the brake job? What components were used? What lubrication was used, and where?

I used Wagner HD severe duty pads. Should have gotten the oem pads. The guy used moly grease on the slide pins.

Originally Posted by HangFire

That's nice.

Do you want help on this? Perhaps you can share with us. Who performed the brake job? What components were used? What lubrication was used, and where?

YES I do. I was trying to describe the sound it was making. Is it something that will go away after a while?

Originally Posted by HangFire

That's nice.

YES I do. I was trying to describe the sound it was making. Is it something that will go away after a while?

Maybe, but probably not. So the answer to the first question is "the guy?" You just gave us one component name only, and still don't tell us the rest, or the vehicle, or front or back.

Honestly, do we have to drag every little detail out of you so we have enough to work with?

I like trying to help people with brake issues, but I don't enjoy playing 20 questions.

The guy used moly grease on the slide pins.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Vibrational frequency most likely from either brake pads or rotors. First thing I would do is apply a little moly grease or sili glyde to back of brake pad.

My factory service manuals recommend Moly grease on the backs of pads, and Silicone on the pins. The pad backs get crazy hot and cook off lubes like SilGlyde, while Moly leaves behind a lubricating powder residue that continues to work for you. The heat on the pins is more moderate, and SilGlyde is better on the rubber boots and sealing out water.
Originally Posted by spk2000
If this doesn't fix then brake pad material is squeaking on the rotor and that would require different pads.

Possibly. A different bedding procedure might fix it without further expense.

Which leads me to ask, what bedding procedure was used, if any?

Go beat the [censored] out of the braking system by heating up the brakes with aggressive driving and I bet it's fixed.

Back in the Fall of last year, I did a front disc brake job on my 92 Olds Cutlass with new Wagner rotors and Wagner severe duty brake pads. The reason I went with the severe duty was because they were very cheap on RockAuto.

The pads for the Olds had very good quality shims, and the shims were attached with rivets I think it was. Definitely not the clip on shims that have caused noise on various cars over the years. Did not add any kind of grease or whatever to the shims. Used silicone grease on the slide pins. No squeaks yet!

Some times the clip on type shims are just plain junk, and I throw them in the trash. Coat the back of the pad with CRC Disc Brake Quiet or Permatex Disc Brake quiet, and that takes care of the noise problems.

Severe duty pads are not better! They are an inferior pad for anything other than severe duty and will eat your rotors up, and may not even stop as well cold.

Yes the noise may eventually go away. Yes it will more likely go away if you put goop on the back of the pads.

Petroleum based grease, no matter what it has in it (moly or copper or ceramic, or silicone, etc) has no business being anywhere in the braking system. There is no petroleum grease product that is temperature stable at braking temperatures.

You want thick silicone grease, not some special SilGlyde petroleum goop that just has some silicone in it.

Did you replace the rotors? Didn't they need it?

Suggest complete re-do. New NON-severe duty pads, new rotors unless old ones were turned (lathed), and replace the petroleum moly grease on the sliders with silicone grease. Clean out the old grease thoroughly with a solvent (like gasoline if you don't have anything else), leaving no trace behind.

I second demarpaint's note. I forget what's in it; it's good stuff. If you can't get it, use the moly based stuff and slather all over the shim pad, including around the edges where the shim meets the pad plate. You're trying to dampen the shim, which is usually where the ringing/squeaking comes from.

Only a pad slap. Probably should have put new rotors on. Just another case of cheap work being done cause the guy I had do the brakes assumed I was cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
SilGlyde works fine on its intended purpose, the pins, I have 84K on the Corolla pins with SilGlyde. I just checked them last month, and the grease is still fine.

Moly axle grease should not be used on brakes or the backs of pads. I use Goodson Pastelub Synthetic Hi-Temp brake lubricant.

Honda makes their versions for their brakes. They recommend their silicone grease for the pins and their Moly grease for their pad backs. Just like the Goodson, when the liquid component boils off, the solids remain as a dry powder lubricant.

I guess the vehicle involved is the one in his signature, (which is not visible when I use Tapatalk,) but I'm done guessing. Since the OP doesn't even do his own pad slaps, the most basic of services, it's unlikely he's equipped to actually remedy this situation.

Did you install the pad retaining lips that came with the new pads? That was my issue. Took them off , cleaned up the old ones and installed them. Quiet as a church mouse now.

Only a pad slap. Probably should have put new rotors on. Just another case of cheap work being done cause the guy I had do the brakes assumed I was cheap.

Putting new pads on a shiney rotor isn't helping matters, you should have roughed them up some. Did you reuse the old hardware, installed new or forgot to reinstall?

Last edited:
I have used the goop sold at the auto parts store on the back of the pads , for years .

But I do not drive aggressively .

I have used pads , on occasion , that had a strip of some sort of plastic on the back of the pads , also .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back