Sprinter van: want to use Amsoil 0w-40 w/ 25k mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we maintain a 2012 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 and we want to use a 0w-40 oil also with the 25k mile protection.

Seems Amsoil doesn't have an option for us that meets the MB 229.52 spec.

BUT, if this vehicle has had the particulate filter removed and the DEF system deleted, then does it need to meet that spec?

I see either product DZFQT-EA or AZFQT-EA could work (both 0w-40 oils), but they don't mention if they meet the MB spec or not. Product EFOQT-EA says it meets MB spec, but it's not 25k mile oil.

I don't think that anyone but Mercedes-Benz themselves can realistically tell you why they specced what they specced.

If the Sprinter has had emissions "deleted" you can use a 229.5 oil; for that matter, a 228.5 oil. Or even a 228.3 oil, which is a standard CI4+ 15W40 that happens to be approved by Mercedes. But read the footnotes. Does it still have EGR?
Here is oil requirements for Mercedes engines. Yours is under diesel van engines, no DPF.
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf
I believe your engine is OM642, not positive.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Only way to know is try it with a series of UOAs....

Yes, we are planning on getting at least one oil analysis

Yes, it still has EGR. It just doesn't have DPF and DEF.

But neither Amsoil 0w-40 mentions MB spec on their website.

Originally Posted By: QuadraTokn

Nope; Amsoil doesn't do most of the specifications and certifications because it costs money. I have used Amsoil since 2004 in a variety of vehicles for which it did not carry the specification and all of the UOAs were great (ran it up to 12,000 miles) and there were no oil related problems.

If you are out of warranty, I would say go for it.

So we maintain a 2012 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 and we want to use a 0w-40 oil also with the 25k mile protection.

I see either product DZFQT-EA or AZFQT-EA could work (both 0w-40 oils), but they don't mention if they meet the MB spec or not. Product EFOQT-EA says it meets MB spec, but it's not 25k mile oil.

Are you sure you need 229.52? Would 229.51 work? (I can't remember when the 229.52 started. I know it is 229.51 for my 2011 OM642.)
If so, the AFL 5W-40 is MB-Approved for 229.51.

Also, the Euro oils do NOT have the 25k mile claim like Signature Series. Amsoil says the oils are good for the manufacturers extended oil change interval (10K).

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf

Hope that helps.

BUT, if this vehicle has had the particulate filter removed and the DEF system deleted, then does it need to meet that spec?

That year does not need MB229.52 regardless whether DPF is removed or not. MB229.51 is recommended for that engine of that year. DPF will not suffer whether you use MB229.52 or 51 since ash level in 52 is not stricter then in 51.

Only way to know is try it with a series of UOAs....

Really? What parameters of the UOA do you look at to determine if the oil met the requirements of MB 229.52?

Nope; Amsoil doesn't do most of the specifications and certifications because it costs money. I have used Amsoil since 2004 in a variety of vehicles for which it did not carry the specification and all of the UOAs were great (ran it up to 12,000 miles) and there were no oil related problems.

If you are out of warranty, I would say go for it.
I would add-if his DPF & DEF system are gone, his warranty is gone as well. We had a couple '12 Sprinters, they got bad mileage (compared to the earlier non-DEF/DPF ones) & were an expensive nightmare to get repaired. If the Amsoil is CJ-4 (guessing it won't have MB certification anyway) it should be a good choice.

If you know how to remove the DPF and delete the egr, pleas tell me. I have a 642 and have been told it is not doable.
You had better not go 25k on a 22951 or 52 motor oil. After 10k those oils are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back