Springtime is here, getting the "Goat" out of hibernation,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warm weather is here in West Tn. Getting my 1967 Pontiac GTO out of Winter storage. Factory stock 400 cu. in., 335hp motor,Turbohydramatic 400 transmission, 10.5 compression, 100,000 miles on it, never rebuilt. Only drive it 5 or 6 hundred miles a year. Motor still has good compression, doesn't use oil, but does have a small knock when cold but goes away after warming up. I change oil every spring. Have been useing Valvoline Max-Life 10w-40 and AC-PF24 oil filters. Is there a better oil for this vehicle that I should be useing? Most of my driving is "cruising" on 2 lane roads in the 50 to 60 mph range with an occassional kick-it-in-the a** take-off. Are there any additives I should be adding to the crank case? I plan on keeping this car forever so I don't mind spending extra time or money for frequent oil changes. I'm open to suggestions as to the best lubrication route to take. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by pharmer:
Warm weather is here in West Tn. Getting my 1967 Pontiac GTO out of Winter storage. Factory stock 400 cu. in., 335hp motor,Turbohydramatic 400 transmission, 10.5 compression, 100,000 miles on it, never rebuilt. Only drive it 5 or 6 hundred miles a year. Motor still has good compression, doesn't use oil, but does have a small knock when cold but goes away after warming up. I change oil every spring. Have been useing Valvoline Max-Life 10w-40 and AC-PF24 oil filters. Is there a better oil for this vehicle that I should be useing? Most of my driving is "cruising" on 2 lane roads in the 50 to 60 mph range with an occassional kick-it-in-the a** take-off. Are there any additives I should be adding to the crank case? I plan on keeping this car forever so I don't mind spending extra time or money for frequent oil changes. I'm open to suggestions as to the best lubrication route to take. Thanks.

My suggestion (since this is what I run!)...Delo 400 15w-40 and Purolator Premium Plus filter (Don't like the Purolator PureOne filter as much...it caused lots of cold startup lifter noise). Both are widely available and provide great performance.

BTW, the Purolator Premium Plus part number for your GTO (Gas, Tires, and Oil!!) is L20033

Justin.

[ March 26, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

I wouldn't recommend a Purolator filter (either one) on any hard driven car, as their flow ratings are terrible.

Go with a K&N or Wix/NAPA Gold filter.

As far as oil goes, at 500 miles a year it almost doesn't even matter what brand you choose.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I wouldn't recommend a Purolator filter (either one) on any hard driven car, as their flow ratings are terrible.

As far as oil goes, at 500 miles a year it almost doesn't even matter what brand you choose.

I've heard no flow problems with the "regular" Purolator Premium Plus...could you please fill me in if you have heard different.

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

I've heard no flow problems with the "regular" Purolator Premium Plus...could you please fill me in if you have heard different.

I'm sure we'll find out for sure when Bob tests their filters on his new machine, but the flow ratings in the Purolator catalog show only 3-5GPM of flow for most of their filters, so that's not too spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back