Spring time is near !! Is it Time for KITT'S Oil Change ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks your friendly neighbor "Clearance Oil king" Dave here lol
cheers3.gif
thumbsup2.gif

So was chatting with a buddy of mine about all my oil stash and he asked "So what is KITT getting from your "oil reserves" ???
crackmeup2.gif

And I was like %@^!&#$ i don't even remember when was last oil change ?? 2017/2018 ?? Forgot to put a OCI sticker on windshield (Ya I know guy BIG NO NO here on BITGO)
27.gif

Car doesn't get driven that much since for now It's stored far away at my moms house and I'm living in Dallas busy with life.

So here's where I am at.

I know my last OCI was M1 10W40 HM and a M1 oil filter. and I have put something like 1000-1500 miles since then and I last checked oil in December and it was still pretty clear NOT dark. So what you guys think ??

Itching to dump the M1 "Champion filter" and go with a XG5 and some FRESH M1 10W40 HM for spring time driving lol
thumbsup2.gif

It's a TRUE 1982 Trans AM 305 crossfire with 84K miles
20.gif

So

1.Don't change leave alone for now ??

2. Change oil and filter ??

Also on a funny note, Last year I called Mobil tech support once and they recommend 15W-40 wha ??? Diesel oil ????
21.gif

Dave

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Does that engine require a high zinc oil?

It does. I always add bottle of Rislone zinc additive when I change oil
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeff78
Knight Industries says it's OK to use 15W-40, but if you do, not to use Turbo Boost below 0F.

Especially while in Super Pursuit Mode.

I'm running 0w40 Mobil 1 Euro in my 305 for the winter. It's currently at 3 months and 2900 miles since the last change. Extremely cold starts and a short 7 minute city drive to work. The oil still looks like new, I've been changing it at 3k or less because of the short trips with the carburetor but the oil seems to be staying clean so I'll leave it until spring.

For warmer weather I'm considering switching to conventional 10w30 (nothing but synthetic from 160k to 240k miles).

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Let's see a pic of that crossfire intake!

Those early third gens are super cool. 82-83 and 91-92 are my fav!

Ya have gotten that reaction several time from old timers saying they havent see a running crossfire car in YEARS

Except for a fluctuating idle(Replaced many cracked VAC lines) Mine is pretty good running

Dave

Originally Posted by dippschtick
I would think Kitt should have a say on this. It's his "blood".
grin2.gif

Have had this car since 2003(18th birthday gift) and MANY OCI's using different makes of oil.

But for now KITT is a "high class snob" and prefers Mobil 1 High Mileage
crazy.gif

......... And I can get 1 or 2 extra "turbo boots" using Mobil 1
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by oldhp
"KITT" should have called you.

Not recently, He's been blowing me off and hanging out with a hot new red C8 Vette
smirk2.gif

Told him hes to old and slow to be hanging around with a "Fast young redhead" and i'm not responsible if she gives birth to a "baby power wheels"

okay ill stop now Dave
13.gif

Back in highschool I watched a mechanic who helped me a number of times back then get a crossfire z28 running right, he bought for his girlfriend. His personal daily driver was a low output 305 powered z28 in mint condition with almost 400k miles on it.

I can't remember what the problem was but the crossfire was running on like 4 cylinders, he scanned it and had it running right within an hour.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I'm running 0w40 Mobil 1 Euro in my 305 for the winter. It's currently at 3 months and 2900 miles since the last change. Extremely cold starts and a short 7 minute city drive to work. The oil still looks like new, I've been changing it at 3k or less because of the short trips with the carburetor but the oil seems to be staying clean so I'll leave it until spring.

For warmer weather I'm considering switching to conventional 10w30 (nothing but synthetic from 160k to 240k miles).

0W40 ?? Ya NEVER gets that cold down here lol

10W30/40 is normal for 305's down here in warm climate. Some recommending 20W50 !!!

Dave

Originally Posted by GMguy84

10W30/40 is normal for 305's down here in warm climate. Some recommending 20W50 !!!

Dave

She spins over a lot faster with the 0w when it's minus 20 or colder. Plus the 0w40 happens to be a little better oil than a lot of the other options. I could run it year round but since it leaks and burns a little bit I might as well go with something thicker in the summer. I've thought about 20w50 but it doesn't burn that much oil and it's mostly short trips and not working very hard, so that's probably overkill.

Originally Posted by GMguy84

Dave

She spins over a lot faster with the 0w when it's minus 20 or colder. Plus the 0w40 happens to be a little better oil than a lot of the other options. I could run it year round but since it leaks and burns a little bit I might as well go with something thicker in the summer. I've thought about 20w50 but it doesn't burn that much oil and it's mostly short trips and not working very hard, so that's probably overkill.

Ya way different down here in the "Oven" of the USA with temps avg 90's/100's in summer time. I have a BIG supply of top tier 10W30 and some 10W40 to play with so that what he's gonna get for awhile. I might test 20W50 down the road with my other supply run out

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back