Spring is Here in Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats cold winter temps by our standard down here.
55.gif

I just checked the NWS about 20 minutes ago and we may hit 67 up here near Lynden- yeah, right, I'll believe it when I see it. Sixty-two Fahrenheit is much more like it...

It was VERY NICE today. 60°F. I mowed, edged, etc. The sad part is all the shrubbery killed by this winter's prolonged cold snaps. We lost maybe 10 bushes, and some will need to be cut back hard.

I also changed the oil in the Volvo and will do the Honda after church tomorrow.

I enjoy all four seasons. But sometimes the Winter time dreariness goes on a little too long.........

I enjoy the Spring and Fall a lot. The Summer is nice as long as it is not super hot for weeks at a time.

Whatever. Snow flakes were flying over here tonight, there is still a thin white coating on the ground.

Minnesota season breakdown:

Winter: Nov 1st-Apr 15th (5.5 months) (46%) (Winter jacket weather)
Spring: Apr 16th-May 31st (1.5 months) (13%) (Warming up but often cold)
Summer: Jun 1st-Sep 1st (3 months) (25%) (Hot and humid)
Fall: Sep 2nd-Oct 31st (2 months) (17%) (Cool and crisp)

As you can see the seasons are not very well balanced around here!

I'm enjoying spring time here in Maryland, high of 70* for today. I've got about a 6 week window before it becomes so humid and disgusting I don't even want to think about going outside. I've lived in the northeast (Upstate NY) and the midwest (Tulsa) and the mid-atlantic, by far, has the least enjoyable weather.

We had a remarkable transformation in the weather overnight. Yesterday, hot (yes, to me 82 F. is hot) and nastily humid. Miss Linda pitched in on the waxing of the car yesterday morning, and we were both soaked long before we finished.

Overnight, though, a cool front blew through. It was 80 F. when I went to bed. When I got up, it was 52!

Today: glittering light, windy, cool, high of 62. Now this is what I expect of April, and so rarely get.

Well back to wet weather again today. I came back from seeing my Daughter in Forest Grove, Oregon today.

There is a certain section of I-5 in Washington between Portland, OR and Centralia that gets monsoon type rain. Whenever there is some rain in Washington and Oregon it just pours down in buckets in this certain stretch. It is such fun to hydroplane down the freeway.

Last year in that same spot I saw my life flash before my eyes. I was with my Dad in the front passenger seat in his van. We were cruising and it was raining pretty hard. Then out of nowhere it came down at an unbelievable rate.

I saw a car in the middle lane and it came to almost a complete stop. With the wipers on high you could not see anything. I grabbed the wheel from my Dad and held it to what I thought would keep it on the freeway. He could not see anything and I could only see the faint tail lights of another car. At the same time I was telling him to slow down, but he was not slowing down enough. I then had to really yell at him again. He finally came to almost a complete stop.

The rain finally let up a fair amount. I have never been in a car and seen rain that hard before.....scary stuff when it happens quickly and the vision goes to almost zero........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back