spray paint the wheel bead

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNT

Dupli-Color Wheel Gloss Clearcoat

I sprayed about half can onto the 4 rim bead/flange. Per instruction on can:

… To avoid runs and sags, apply in 2 light coats, followed by one medium wet coat. Apply all coats within 1 hour, allowing 10 minutes between each coat. For additional coats after 1 hour, wait 7 days for paint to cure. Dries to touch in 1 hour, and can be handled in 3 hours.

I did two light coats, then a reasonable spray to finish (all within 1 hour). Now today is day 1, there's some little runs/sags, just a little. Question, should I wait 7th day and then 220 lightly sand to smooth it out, then done (no more painting), then mount the tires? OR, should I leave it all alone and just mount the tires after 7 days?

Hopefully you can see in the photo below.
[Linked Image]

I've done the same with steel wheels and, if that is where the bead actually seals, would smooth it out with a light recoat. But I'm obsessive with things like this.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
But I'm obsessive with things like this.

Isn't this why we are using this forums? LOL

I'm surprised someone is doing this only for cosmetics. I do it after I gritblast to remove corrosion and to provide a good sealing surface and exclude further corrosion. I then let the paint sit for a month so it'll harden. Many wheels need it after 15 winters.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Hard to tell from the picture how ruff it really is but don't you think it might develop into a slow leak?

It might, just asking... the way I look at it is its a little weaving, but the tire (bead area) should be soft enough to seal it all, along with little help from PSI pressure. But, I am going to anyways 220 lightly sand it (at day 7, as the can says so) and then once again lightly recoat it. I am itchy to only let it dry for another 7 days.

Today is day 3, I went ahead and (100) lightly sand the bead area. Most were good, but some spots had little sags. All done now, and just lightly recoat, only one coat. I am going to stop there and let dry for another 7 days.

Just make sure to tell the shop not to wire brush your wheels when you get the tires mounted. They often have inexperienced people doing this work and if the store policy says to wire brush the wheels and apply bead sealer to every tire before mounting, that's what you might get even if it's not needed.

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
Just make sure to tell the shop not to wire brush your wheels when you get the tires mounted. They often have inexperienced people doing this work and if the store policy says to wire brush the wheels and apply bead sealer to every tire before mounting, that's what you might get even if it's not needed.

Understood and thank you. I work with my cousin, owns a auto shop, so there I would be installing 'em (that's where I removed the old tires as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back