Spray Paint Overspray on Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well the genius previous owner of my Camry decided that before selling the car, it needed some of that color match spray paint to touch up where it's faded on the roof. I bought the car mid August and can tell it had just been done, was still sticky.

There's overspray on the top of the windshield and the back window, as well as the driver's window. The paint is like a burgundy color. It's hard to see unless I'm driving toward sunlight, then it's all glittered up pretty bad. Also at night it's easy to see.

Any ideas removing it? I've washed the windshield lots of times with Windex, obviously that isn't going to work.

da8ca385-d83c-4a41-a2c5-7a4bcb0fa7bb_400.jpg

On glass you can try a clay bar, 0000 steel wool, a razor blade. I'd try it in that order.

Spray the window down with a bit of soapy water, then use a razor blade at a shallow angle to plane it smooth again. Very quick & effective.

Ok I'll try the razor blade first, have several new blades and the holder for it too. I'm guessing it doesn't matter if I use car wash soapy water or dawn soapy water.

Well a few years back when my silverado was brand new my neighbor decided to spray there fence. It ended up all over my truck. I used a clay bar with quick detailer and it took all the over spray off.

You know what, I recently removed a good amount of overspray from my truck. All I used was a clay bar (and some detailer spray as lubricant, don't remember what one). That would be a good place to start since it's very gentle... I sprayed the inside of my bed with rustoleum rusty metal primer through an HVLP sprayer, got some overspray because of my less than professional job masking the truck. Came right off with the clay bar, and it was months later.

Thanks for the help guys, I decided to grab a clay bar I had in the garage and use that as well as some Rain X I had (was out of detailer).

It worked out fantastic, I'll have to see tomorrow since I did this at night, I did all of my windows and it took maybe 10 minutes tops, wish I did this sooner.

Here's some before and after pics of the back window.

5nkemw.jpg

ji2xyt.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Thanks for the help guys, I decided to grab a clay bar I had in the garage and use that as well as some Rain X I had (was out of detailer).

It worked out fantastic, I'll have to see tomorrow since I did this at night, I did all of my windows and it took maybe 10 minutes tops, wish I did this sooner.

Good move with the clay. Clay is always a good first choice if glass cleaner doesn't work. Then move up the ladder with more aggressive measures.

Wonder what type of paint he used. If it is enamel or acrylic lacquer, it wont last long at all due to a lack of UV inhibitors. Something tells me it was lacquer as it takes a good long while to cure totally.

It doesn't look good on the roof at all, he just sort of sprayed it up there and obviously didn't know what he was doing

Clear is coming off on the hood, trunk, and roof areas of my civic. I don't have the time or money for a full paint job. There is a spot that started rusting on the roof, so I'm going to sand it down and spray just the roof black (car is red). You might consider something similar. You can get paint match spray paint that would probably look OK as long as you keep it waxed.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Very nice. How does the roof look with the spray paint cover up? Better than flaking clear?
Here's what the roof looks like. There obviously wasn't any sanding involved, and he must have just misted it on there. Fortunately I didn't buy the car because it was gorgeous. Just well maintained.

28irodz.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back