Spotted a dealer with a way to keep new inventory on the lot and not selling...

I spotted a dealer with a solid plan to keep some inventory on the lot.

Start with a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 'Pro' Crew Cab. 'Pro' is the new name for the entry level truck.

Then, option it with nearly everything available at that level, including a V8, the $1500 On-Star package, an entertainment and connectivity package, the $1000 Off-Road package, a $600 fancy tailgate, $550 spray in bedliner, and $1,200 in special wheels and DuraTrac tires. This gets the MSRP to nearly $55,000 (for what is still a base level truck). Then, to be sure, tack on another $2,000 in dealer add-ons of various levels of uselessness.

And to make sure that they stay on the lot.... buy them in white, and equip them with black vinyl seats and rubber floors. Just like Grandpa's 1974 International Harvester 1600 grain truck. Almost $60,000... and it has plastic seats and a rubber floor.

Somehow... I get the feeling that someone screwed up when ordering these.... and forgot to check the boxes next to "cloth seats" and "carpeting."

But hey... no one is buying them. Still on the lot for several weeks now... LOL.

Last edited:

Start with a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 'Pro' Crew Cab. 'Pro' is the new name for the entry level truck.

Then, option it with nearly everything available at that level, including a V8, the $1500 On-Star package, an entertainment and connectivity package, the $1000 Off-Road package, a $600 fancy tailgate, $550 spray in bedliner, and $1,200 in special wheels and DuraTrac tires. This gets the MSRP to nearly $55,000 (for what is still a base level truck). Then, to be sure, tack on another $2,000 in dealer add-ons of various levels of uselessness.

And to make sure that they stay on the lot.... buy them in white, and equip them with black vinyl seats and rubber floors. Just like Grandpa's 1974 International Harvester 1600 grain truck. Almost $60,000... and it has plastic seats and a rubber floor.

Somehow... I get the feeling that someone screwed up when ordering these.... and forgot to check the boxes next to "cloth seats" and "carpeting."

But hey... no one is buying them. Still on the lot for several weeks now... LOL.
People will buy them and pay the mark ups lol . Toyota dealer by me is marking up all the vehicles just because they can . They tell the folks there’s no other way around it (mark ups ) . And with the vehicle being a Toyota they cave and buy it

The solution is
Supertech.jpg
pickups

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the truck. It amazes me what these dealers try to get away with. I see dealers that refuse to sell for MSRP and you must buy the paint protection, free ding repair and free car washes for an extra $2000.00. They refuse to sell for MSRP hahaha.....let the dog and pony show continue. Am I buying? NO THANKS.

Pretty hard to think they were ordered like this by mistake. Maybe they were a fleet order for a company and the order got cancelled and the trucks were available immediately. White with vinyl seats and rubber floor might be a clue. The local GMC dealer here still doesn't have a new truck on the lot, they'd take anything they could get. And sell it.

The tailgate is actually useful and the factory bedliner is as good as any other brand. I'd take the rubber floor any day over carpet.

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the truck. It amazes me what these dealers try to get away with. I see dealers that refuse to sell for MSRP and you must buy the paint protection, free ding repair and free car washes for an extra $2000.00. They refuse to sell for MSRP hahaha.....let the dog and pony show continue. Am I buying? NO THANKS.
You don't have to buy. But it's the only way to get a new truck. You either wait them out or pay the piper.

Vinyl can be a misleading. Our 2022 4Runner has the fake leather stuff even though it’s sold as “leather.”

Dealer markup isn’t anything new in today’s world. A local dealer had a 5k above MSRP markup. Dad went in to look at a 6.2 Tahoe. Their head salesman said he has no way around it with how few of cars they are getting in. All the dealer add on stuff is unfortunately quite normal too.

Doesn’t seem like a bad truck overall. 55k-60k for an entry level GM 1500 sounds about right.

I’m guessing if you’re willing to shop around your region, you could find something at MSRP. Dad just bought an expedition from a dealer in Ohio at MSRP. Our 4Runner from earlier this year was also bought at MSRP.

You might have fewer options, but it is possible.

I’m guessing if you’re willing to shop around your region, you could find something at MSRP. Dad just bought an expedition from a dealer in Ohio at MSRP. Our 4Runner from earlier this year was also bought at MSRP.

You might have fewer options, but it is possible.
Our local Toyota store seems to be close to this.
It looks like the only thing they are "adding" is Window Tint and Plus maintenance and which is just extending the free 25k service to 45k.

I know, I say just sarcastically. It's all relative.
Still, I think I have at least 2 more years of life in the Mazda3 before it gets to 200k miles, and 4 more in the Rav4 before it reaches 200k.
After that, one has to start looking at what the future might bring in terms of automotive needs.

Our local Toyota store seems to be close to this.
It looks like the only thing they are "adding" is Window Tint and Plus maintenance and which is just extending the free 25k service to 45k.

I know, I say just sarcastically. It's all relative.
Still, I think I have at least 2 more years of life in the Mazda3 before it gets to 200k miles, and 4 more in the Rav4 before it reaches 200k.
After that, one has to start looking at what the future might bring in terms of automotive needs.
They added a blinking brake light to ours for $400, but we weren’t prepared to walk over that.

The guy kept defending it and I kept shaking my head. I finally told him the truck already had a moonroof and the KDSS suspension, which I also found to be a waste. (A lie, but it got my point across.) I asked to just continue on with it all and that was that. It also made the “extended warranty” discussion easier too.

They added a blinking brake light to ours for $400, but we weren’t prepared to walk over that.

The guy kept defending it and I kept shaking my head. I finally told him the truck already had a moonroof and the KDSS suspension, which I also found to be a waste. (A lie, but it got my point across.) I asked to just continue on with it all and that was that. It also made the “extended warranty” discussion easier too.
I believe a dealer installed flashing CHMSL is against the FMVSS § 571.108
CHMSL must be steady illumination once the brakes are applied. A dealer selling a new car with these installed is selling a vehicle that doesn't meet FMVSS.

It's certainly worth a shot at asking if they really want the hassle of someone looking at this from either the manufacturer or the Feds.
Or if they will sign a document that says they have been informed that this is a potential violation of the FMVSS and they are willing to sell the vehicle knowing their modification is likely a violation.

Some of the other stuff dealers pull is legal, but not good value. This is probably a violation of Federal Standards.

If anything will happen or not is another question.
Still, you might go to them first and say your next call is to the AG if they don't make it right and refund your money.

I believe a dealer installed flashing CHMSL is against the FMVSS § 571.108
CHMSL must be steady illumination once the brakes are applied. A dealer selling a new car with these installed is selling a vehicle that doesn't meet FMVSS.
I'm picturing it as a low-mounted flashing light..... Perhaps installed in the trailer hitch. Like the kids do with their faux race cars.

My local Toyota dealer had the blinking brake lights installed in all the cars on their lot in January 2020 for an extra $1200.

What you see on the lots for 1/2 ton pickups is just nuts.

Based on what you can see online, you can still order basic. For instance a 2022 Ram 1500 classic reg cab, 2wd 6'4" bed, pentastar, 8spd auto for $28380. Vinyl seats, rubber floors, crank windows, but still has A/C, ,etc. You're talking half the cost of a truck with more "features".

Start with...
Could it be the factory doing this to the dealer not dealer to customer?

"...Their head salesman said... All the dealer add on stuff is unfortunately quite normal too...."
thinkin it's the factory instead. Some dealers I have known over the yrs tell some pretty tough (entirely beliveable) stories. And
these have been goin on for over 70 yrs, not new methodology...

Back