Spot testing of motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, the federal government and various state governmental agencies occasionally had programs where motor oil was spot tested-that is, people would be sent out to buy motor oil in various places, and the oil was bench tested to check for low additive content, improper viscosity, etc.

According to what I heard, many brands of motor oil proved to have low additive content, improper viscosity as compared to what the viscosity was supposed to be on the label, etc. Occasionally, if I remember correctly, up to 40% of motor oils were found to be improperly labeled and low in additive content.

Does anybody know if the federal government and various state agencies still bench test motor oil samples?

I believe that things have certainly gotten better, and today probably most motor oils meet requirements and fulfill whatever is stated on the container.Motor oils were much poorer in quality many years ago.

But hopefully, somebody is watching the store.

If I remember correctly, I do remember something being posted here about defective motor oil being discovered by a southern state. So maybe there is some testing still going on.

Seems to be it is a good idea for some bench testing to still take place. Some people you can take at their word, and others have to be watched all the time.

Counterfeit motor oil
"Despite an agreement with API to stop selling mislabeled engine oil, unlicensed "Star brite" brand engine oils bearing bogus API trademarks are still for sale in Bi-Lo Food Stores in North Carolina. Lube Report purchased four viscosity grades of the products in different Bi-Lo stores there on April 16, May 12 and as recently as May 29."
http://www.lubereport.com/e_article000157959.cfm?x=a1NBDWd,a12MT5WC

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back