sporadic brake grind

Status
Not open for further replies.
weirdest thing... only about once a month, at low speed only, i get a metal on metal sound, and my pedal drops a bit, pulsates, grinds. i let off, get back on and the grind/pulse is gone. only happens about 1-2 times per month, and never at speed, only at about 10 to 15 miles per hour. part of me thinks abs issue, because when it grinds the pedal drops and does that pulse thing, but it is not a situation where the abs should be activiated (heavy braking at speed... my brakes have been inspected and they say nothing is wrong with them. any idears??

Last edited:
I am only guessing that its brake master cyl. or there is air in brake line somewhere. Have you had your dot3/4 fluid inspect and or changed? The grinding might be wheel bearings.

never messed with the fluids. 100K on the car, 2004 hyundai santa fe. is it possible for the bearings to grind in conjunction with the brake pedal?

I have 80k on 12 hyundai accent and they added a bit to my bearings till my next service and recommend a cleaning and repacking in about 5-10k. I am gonna use m1 as pennzoil ultra doesnt make a gtl grease lol.

Originally Posted By: chado_skins
never messed with the fluids. 100K on the car, 2004 hyundai santa fe. is it possible for the bearings to grind in conjunction with the brake pedal?

You are overdue for a brake fluid change. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and then boils at a much lower temperature than fresh brake fluid.

Your problem does sound like the ABS kicking in. My first recommendation is have a proper brake bleed done and get fresh fluid in there. Also, check for ABS codes.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: chado_skins

You are overdue for a brake fluid change. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and then boils at a much lower temperature than fresh brake fluid.

Your problem does sound like the ABS kicking in. My first recommendation is have a proper brake bleed done and get fresh fluid in there. Also, check for ABS codes.

+1 That is where I would start

thanks for the replies. changing the brake fluid will be next onmy long list of preventative maintenance issues. could it be a bearing issue? can someone explain why a bearing would make noise while applying the brakes, then immediately stop? is that even possible? its definitely a metal on metal sound...

It's possible, but a metal on metal sound when touching the brakes is usually a worn brake pad, sometimes the wear indicator, if so equipped, sometimes worse- a totally worn-out pad.

Start with the easy stuff. Inspect the pads, catch-up on the maintenance and check for codes.

Check the slider boots on all the calipers. If a boot fails the slider will start binding intermittently as corrosion and contaminants build up over time. This can cause one of the pads to wear faster. Eventually the slider can seize from corrosion and total loss of grease, and before long you'll have constant grinding on that rotor.

I had a similar issue with an accord. Random grind when stopping from slow speeds like in a parking lot. The car was only a few years old, with low miles on the factory pads.

I ended up replacing all 4 pads earlier than necessary even though all looked good. The problem didn't come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back