Spoiling my 2005 Ford Ranger XL 2.3l 4cyl RWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,
So with the new year upon us, I have decided 2012 is the year to revamp/spoil the heck out of my truck! Gives me something to do, and it makes for some pretty fun weekends. Through this I am going to tell y'all the basics, if I am Missing something, or I should do something else with it (such as different fluids/parts/etc) please suggest, this is an open discussion, all recommendations are in fact welcome, and all will be taken in consideration!

The Vehicle in Question is my very own 2005 Ford Ranger Single Cab XL 2.3l 4cyl automatic.

Miles: 126,585

DSCN1038.jpg

Fluids ---
This is where I explain the fluids I am going to replace, and my first decision on what will replace them, Suggest anything different and It will be taken into consideration.

---Oil
OUT- 4QTs PEAK 5w30 Conventional w/ Purolator Classic
IN- 4QTS PEAK 5w20 Synthetic w/Purolator Classic

---Antifreeze
OUT- Motorcraft OEM
IN- PEAK Longlife

---TFluid
OUT- OEM Motorcraft
IN- ???

---WashFluid
OUT- Water. LOL
IN- Rain-X Bug Remover

I will run a bottle of SEAFOAM through the Gaslines/tanks to take care of injectors, etc.

Anything Else I forgot, Brake Fluid, etc, please Suggest.

DSCN1041.jpg

Parts/Filters---

---Air
OUT- Puro Classic
IN- Puro Classic
DONE on 01/05/2012

---Fuel Filter
OUT- Purolator
IN- ???

---PCV
???

---Wiper Blades
Out - ANCO
IN- Duralast

---Spark Plugs
OUT- Autolite Double Platinum
IN- NGK V Power
Done 11/12/2011

---TIRES
OUT- Invader Radial on back, General Altimax on Front.
IN- Primewell PS860

DSCN1040.jpg

COSMETICS---

Touch Up Bed Liner/ Rollon new layer

add Plastic Rail Covers for the Sides and Tailgate

"Side Bar Rail Bars" for the bed

Hood Deflector

Replace Windshield (Cracks in spots)

Replace Seat Covers/Floormats/etc.

Wipe down everything under hood (What to clean the plastic and metal with under the hood?)

Figure there is alot to do, might take me a while to finish and gather up supplies/etc but It will be done as the Late Great Johnny Cash said "One Piece at a Time"

Though this will cost me a pretty good dime! LOL

Any suggestions feel free, as long as they dont involve FRAM Oil Filters, we are good!

DSCN1039.jpg

Last edited:
For Antifreeze, stay with Motorcraft. Its good stuff.
If you can find a distributor, I really like Schaeffer #204SAT Trans Fluid. Its Mercon V licensed and full synthetic.
Otherwise any name brand Mercon V will do fine too.
I would skip Seafoam and try to find some of the Redline stuff.
Definitely changing the brake fluid would be a good idea. DOT 3 or DOT 4 would work here.

As I gradually add on to this I will either mark something/post that its done with my choice or by a suggestion on here!

Pull that diff. cover and change out that gear oil with some good 75W90 like Mobil 1 or Redline. The tranny should be Mercon V IIRC. Mobil 1 and others make compatible fluids.

Don't go to Peak Long Life coolant. Stay with a G-05. So Motorcraft or Zerex.

Amsoil makes some of the best ATFs.

I agree, change out the diff. fluid.

I don't know about Peak oil, but think that PP or PU would be better.

New OEM PCV.

I would make the transmission an absolute priority with that many miles on the original fluid. Get it flushed. The trans takes 16 quarts of Mercon V. I used BG full synthetic with no issues for a long time in my truck's 5R44E, but anything other than Mercon V you are using at your own risk.

I would stick with Motorcraft Gold or another brand of G05 for the antifreeze. I have been using Zerex G05 in my truck since 2008, no issues.

Also, check that Purolator air filter ASAP! I have never seen a Purolator a/f that sealed the Ranger's filter box correctly. The gasket is way too thin and can allow dirt to enter the top side of the housing where it doesn't belong. For this application, you DO want a Fram filter. The fit of their air filters is much better in the Ranger's housing.

Go ahead and do some turkey baster changes on the PS fluid. It's probably pitch black by now. Change the brake fluid with any brand of DOT3. It's probably some shade of brown.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Don't go to Peak Long Life coolant. Stay with a G-05. So Motorcraft or Zerex.

Amsoil makes some of the best ATFs.

I agree, change out the diff. fluid.

I don't know about Peak oil, but think that PP or PU would be better.

New OEM PCV.
You nailed it. I would probably save some $$$ and run Mercon V though instead of Amsoil ATF

motorcraft fuel filter.. they look much better than some aftermarket. They arent much more expensive either.

EWWW PRIMEWELL TIRES :p

Had a 2002 very similar to yours. I'd drain/flush and replace the brake fluid for sure and also replace the fuel filter. The rear end is also a must....drive it a while to heat it up then open the drain plug and let it all run out. Replace it with 75w-90 or similar quality synthetic you have at your local store.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Had a 2002 very similar to yours. I'd drain/flush and replace the brake fluid for sure and also replace the fuel filter. The rear end is also a must....drive it a while to heat it up then open the drain plug and let it all run out. Replace it with 75w-90 or similar quality synthetic you have at your local store.

No drain plug on these. You have to pop the cover. It's good for getting it really clean and getting a look at the gears though.

I use Permatex Ultra Black to seal the cover. Dealers also sell tubes of the OEM sealant. Some parts stores sell a Felpro cut gasket for the 7.5 axle.

The first change will probably be pretty nasty, but if you fill it with a good synthetic fluid it will probably be fine for the next 100K miles.

Today I bought a ProSelect NAPA Fuel Filter
Black Magic Tint
Lucas Fuel Additive
Prestone Bug Wash
Car Wash
Michelin Wipers
Armor All Wipes
Windex
and Spray paint for the Wipers!

If your truck has ABS brakes, DOT4 Low Viscosity has been invented to make the hydraulic control module cycle braking more quickly.

PCV? I recommend OE only. Also buy new hoses, because PCV hoses are weak on most Ford vehicles.

The best way to clean under the hood is to use Simple Green. It is the only thing I have ever used that removes bad stuff well, and has no bad smell.

If you have drum brakes in the rear, clean them with brake cleaning spray, the adjust the shoe to drum clearance if you can. Look inside the wheel cylinders and if you see fluid, replace the wheel cylinders.

I'd skip the Primewell tires. It looks like your truck takes P225/70R15 tires? If blackwall tires are fine, check out the General Altimax RT (or flip any of the following three so the white letters are in). If you must have white letters, look at the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, BFGoodrich Radial T/A, or General Grabber HTS. I had the Firehawks on my Dodge Dakota and they were good tires, fairly soft and grippy.

Each of the tires above, according to Tire Rack, is manufactured in North America.

Stay away from the Primewells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back