Spindle Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you use or recommend anything special when you lube your deck spindles??

I just picked this 1966 Wheel Horse 656 up yesterday. Going through it now.

IMG_20190827_200033.jpg

IMG_20190827_200105.jpg

IMG_20190827_200127.jpg

I've used Valvoline Crimson on my 48" JD deck for 21 years and it's still on its original deck pulley bearings. Nothing special but it works for me. Nice vintage tractor collection you're acquiring!

Originally Posted by Phishin
Do any of you use or recommend anything special when you lube your deck spindles??

I just picked this 1966 Wheel Horse 656 up yesterday. Going through it now.

My all-time favorite do-all grease is Chevron Delo Ep #2.
A very close second is Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. They are both outstanding high performance greases.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Beautiful mower, too bad it's got a Chinese knock of engine on it.

Runs better than the POS Tecumseh that was on it. Finicky little turds.

Originally Posted by Phishin
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Beautiful mower, too bad it's got a Chinese knock of engine on it.

Runs better than the POS Tecumseh that was on it. Finicky little turds.

Only people who are not smart enough to understand and maintain a Tecumseh hate them. Had many of them and never had an issue. Still have one running from 1973 and I would take that over your Predator junk anyday.

Last edited:
Oh, I know the Predator is junk. I'm not denying that. It was $129 NEW!!

I'm smart enough to run, operate, repair, and maintain anything. I bought this Tractor JUST AS YOU SEE IT. I didn't put that motor in it.

But I've had trouble with the 2 Tecumseh's I've owned. Both were abused and I inherited the problems. Parts can be tough to find and condition of parts is always questionable. Price of used parts can be all over the place as well.

I got that tractor for $200. That's CHEAP. And it runs GREAT!! I have no interest in spending $400-600 for a nice Tecumseh that it originally came with.... Why?? This might be the coolest, most fun, and functional thing I've ever purchased for that kind of money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back