Spin on oil filter replacement for cartridge type.

I have a question that i cannot seem to find an answer to. I have a Massey Ferguson 135 with the Z145 Continental gas 4 cylinder engine. I want to remove the old oil canister and rod and install a fitting into the hole and then be able to purchase a screw on oil filter that would be wide enough to match the dimension of the canister housing over the rubber seal. I found an adapter for 40 dollars but felt that if i could get the fitting our of some motor and install it into the MF engine then all i would need is a cheaper way to get this done. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks but i would have to drill holes in the block for the bolts. I was wondering if there was a spin on filter stand alone using an insert into the hole of the block as i see some of the kits have that fitting. I an use a fitting from another engine with a spin of filter but i need the actual filter width for the massey 135 and do not know exactly how wide filters are made. I think mine is about 4.9 wide using the cannister. 39.95 adn 4 shipping. If i find another way i will post this.

I wouldn’t bother. I think the filters on the continentals even in the 135 were bypass filters. You aren’t going to use it often enough to worry over a 10 dollar filter every few years. The spin on kits just use an old style ford filter. You aren’t gaining anything.

There is no other factory spin on option for these engines to find in a salvage yard. The Perkins engines could have a spin on base installed in place of the canister base.

I have a question that i cannot seem to find an answer to. I have a Massey Ferguson 135 with the Z145 Continental gas 4 cylinder engine. I want to remove the old oil canister and rod and install a fitting into the hole and then be able to purchase a screw on oil filter that would be wide enough to match the dimension of the canister housing over the rubber seal. I found an adapter for 40 dollars but felt that if i could get the fitting our of some motor and install it into the MF engine then all i would need is a cheaper way to get this done. Any ideas would be appreciated.
About 10 years ago I walked into a small town MF dealer and they still had a box full behind the parts counter. It is the same as several adapter kits online, I'd bet like the $40 ones you've seen.

It's really two key pieces 1) the fitting that screws in where the canister was and allows a spin on to attach, and 2) a circular stamped adapter plate that the fitting will hold against the block. The plate is important because your spin on will be slightly smaller than the original canister. It has holes drilled in appropriate spots to allow oil flow.

I use a NAPA 1050 spin on bypass filter. My canister was missing parts when I bought the tractor, so I spent a few extra and installed the kit. I figure it simplifies filter changing and also keeps my shelf organized (now my tractor and old Willys share the same bypass filter).

Too bad they don't sell the filter by itself and then i could get the fitting and be done with that without that plate.

I have 2x 35's, one with the Perkins and the other has the Standard engine, I was able to purchase the spin on filter adapter for the Perkins but I have never even seen one made for the Continental gas engines so you might try one of the tractor forums for more answers.

Back