Spilled Coffee On Keyboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son owns an HP Pavillion laptop which is about 9 years old. Yesterday morning he was sitting on the couch with his pc on the table. He went to get up and spilled a cup of coffee on about 2/3 of the keyboard! I told him to wipe it down, get a towel, and lay it down on the towel.
Long story short, we used can air to dry it, then placed it in front of a high velocity fan for almost 24 hours. The keys were sticky and it would not power up. I said what the heck, it's ruined now so it won't hurt to try and get it to power on. I sprayed CRC QD CLEANER on the keyboard and that got the keys to moving. I then put 3 IN 1 OIL between the keys and started working them. And, it even powered up!
There seems to be nothing wrong with it. In fact, I'm typing all of this on said laptop. Did he get lucky or what!
shocked2.gif
15.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
No sugar or cream, I presume ?

International Pumpkin Spice creamer and 4 teaspoons of sugar.

Eventually I think you'll find possible problems from sticky creamer or sugar residue as time goes by. Usually it takes a while for that small amount to gum up.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Eventually I think you'll find possible problems from sticky creamer or sugar residue as time goes by. Usually it takes a while for that small amount to gum up.

My son just called me from work. He said after work he's stopping by WM to buy a GOOGLE CHROMEBOOK. Opinions?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-CB3...16GB-Internal-Storage-Chrome-OS/54518466

My son owns an HP Pavillion laptop which is about 9 years old. Yesterday morning he was sitting on the couch with his pc on the table. He went to get up and spilled a cup of coffee on about 2/3 of the keyboard! I told him to wipe it down, get a towel, and lay it down on the towel.
Long story short, we used can air to dry it, then placed it in front of a high velocity fan for almost 24 hours. The keys were sticky and it would not power up. I said what the heck, it's ruined now so it won't hurt to try and get it to power on. I sprayed CRC QD CLEANER on the keyboard and that got the keys to moving. I then put 3 IN 1 OIL between the keys and started working them. And, it even powered up!
There seems to be nothing wrong with it. In fact, I'm typing all of this on said laptop. Did he get lucky or what!
shocked2.gif
15.gif

Was it decaf? If so, that's why it took a while for the laptop to wake back up......
coffee2.gif

9 years old, wow. I never saw any laptop that went more than 6. Even then they were so crammed full of updates they got Slooooooowwww. Give the poor thing a rest

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Yeap, that's why I asked. I suspect it will rear it's ugly head soon enough.

My son just called me from work. He said after work he's stopping by WM to buy a GOOGLE CHROMEBOOK. Opinions?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-CB3...16GB-Internal-Storage-Chrome-OS/54518466

What does he use a computer for ? For some usage, it may be okay but I personally wouldn't buy it. I bought a $199 Acer laptop a few years ago for the kids. It wasn't a Chromebook though, but ran Win10. It had 32gb storage. It constantly had a full disk and you couldn't even update Windows without spending a stupid amount of time running the built-in cleanup tools.

Originally Posted by Driz
9 years old, wow. I never saw any laptop that went more than 6. Even then they were so crammed full of updates they got Slooooooowwww. Give the poor thing a rest

Unless it's a Mac. I'm typing this on a Macbook Air '13 "design". It wasn't necessarily built in 2013 with the way Apple does it but the hardware spec is from then. I have absolutely no need to replace this machine at this point either.

My son only uses his pc to pay bills, surf the web, and Google info about his truck.
He's been here the last few days because his aunt and uncle are having their home fumigated. They are putting up a circus tent over the house.

take the case off and hit it with distilled water to remove sugar/cream/muck. dry it properly and put it back together.

water is not conductive, only the minerals or electrolyte content make water conduct - distilled or deionised water therefore is safe to use so long as you dry it off properly before reassembly & testing.

I use my older laptop as a desktop.

I have a wireless USB keyboard, and wireless USB mouse. My laptop has a few bad keys but i will never need to use them again.

Originally Posted by Driz

Unless it's a Mac. I'm typing this on a Macbook Air '13 "design". It wasn't necessarily built in 2013 with the way Apple does it but the hardware spec is from then. I have absolutely no need to replace this machine at this point either.

+1

I did that a few years ago .dumped a bottle of Gatorade on my keyboard … I thought it was done...my wife took the thing a ran water from the faucet all over the thing ...let it dry for a day and all is good still using it tot type this probably not the best thing to do but hey it worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back