SPIII or Chevron multi-vehicle ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything special about hyundai spIII? I have a new sonata and its a little ways a way before I change but there is some debate on a hyundai forum that I visit weather to use the OEM or an aftermarket atf.

Is chevron MV ATF a good choice?

So long as it meets SP-III spec, you are fine. Mopar ATF +4 is also a good alternative, as I've come to find out.
thumbsup2.gif

not sure if it "meets the spec" they list it on their website as ok to use on mitsbishi spIII but the only ones that it says it "meets" is

Allison Transmission – C4-31632005
Ford MERCON V – M5050901
Voith – G607
ZF – TE-ML 14A

also in the owners manual of the sonata it says something about only useing an approved atf because of atf additives eating seals ect.

If those are the only specs it meets, you would be better off with something like Mobil 1 ATF or Amsoil (if you wish to use a universal alternative).

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
So long as it meets SP-III spec, you are fine. Mopar ATF +4 is also a good alternative, as I've come to find out.
thumbsup2.gif

+1
thumbsup2.gif
The Chrysler/Mopar brand ATF+4 I know can be used safely in place of SP-III but I don't know about any other ATF+4 fluids that don't specifically state that SP-III is ok.

For the cost of the transmission I wouldn't mess around, use the proper fluids required or you could end up spending a small fortune for a repair!
wink.gif

Amsoil ATF which claims to meet the SP-III spec and it has served me very well for over 100K KM (60K miles) without issue, prior to that I was using the Hyundai brand OEM fluid sold at the dealership.

As for my mom's KIA (sister company of Hyundai), she uses Mopar/Chrysler ATF+4 in her transmission instead of SP-III rated fluid and it is working just fine and has been for the past 40K KM so I know it is safe to use.

I wouldn't say all ATF+4's are because I don't know their fluid specifications, but my dad working for Chrysler in the past, we have some connections and found out that Chrysler/Mopar ATF+4 is fine to use in an SP-III application.

Don't forget that Chrysler was/is sorta now in bed with Mitsubishi and Mitsu trannies use the SP-III fluid, so it makes sense that they would ensure their fluid meets the spec for the dealers to use an to only stock 1 product instead of 2.

just looked at castrol ATF+4 and they say that its "Certified and approved for all Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi cars and trucks that require ATF+4®, Mopar ATF+3®, ATF+2®, ATF+2 Type 7176®, or ATF+®."

but funny I dont know of any Hyundai's that require atf+4?? They word it funny.
Its also approved for all makes all models including ferrari, porsch, boing aircraft, and naval vessiles that require atf+4

No SP-III and no way to confirm it, I wouldn't use it.

My dad only uses the ATF+4 because we have a way of verifying that it works fine in SP-III applications.

I don't understand why people spend so much on a vehicle and then try to do the maintenance as cheap as possible when the maintenance is only a fraction of the cost. (not picking on you Ryland, just making a general statement) I see so many here on BITOG that spend big $$$ and then worry about the pennies in the grand scheme of things so to speak. IMO they shouldn't be purchasing a vehicle if they can't afford the proper maintenance.

Last edited:
why would they say hyundai and mitsubishi cars though if it dosent work?

Also I've heard that ATF+4 is ATF+4 dosent matter what flavor you buy because it all has to be the same to get certified.

Yes but Mopar/Chrysler ATF+4 is that but also has additives in it that happen to make it meet the other spec of SP-III which all ATF+4's do not have, that is the problem... So while the Mopar/Chrysler fluid meets ATF+4 spec and the SP-III spec, the Castrol may not, but does meet the spec for older Hyundai/Mitsu transmissions before the SP-III spec. That is why the wording seems confused.
wink.gif

Some transmissions put out by Hyundai/Mitsubishi etc. before the SP-III spec needed a ATF+4 style fluid so that is where the listing came from.

is SP-III just a group II? Thats the only reason I was thinking of useing a different fluid. I've just heard that the SP-III is no good. Maybe I'll just drain and fill every 15k and just use that.

The Hyundai/Kia SP-III OEM stuff is a semi-synthetic and I found out is 60% syn and 40% mineral.

Always came out clean at 50K KM (30K miles) but now I run the Amsoil ATF for double this with the same results and smoother shifting.

Up to you what to choose, but under the warranty I would be using an OEM SP-III fluid, even at an inflated price because Hyundai/Kia can be quite cranky about replacing a transmission using any other fluid that "claims" to meet the spec!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Up to you what to choose, but under the warranty I would be using an OEM SP-III fluid, even at an inflated price because Hyundai/Kia can be quite cranky about replacing a transmission using any other fluid that "claims" to meet the spec!
wink.gif

This.
SP III (or Diamond III or Kia's equivelant) is the only fluid that should be used in a Hyundai with a warranty. It is the only fluid I will ever use in my Hyundai since there are many cases of Hyundai transmissions going south after using something else that "meets the spec".
I would definatly not use Any "Multi ATF" fluid.
I have heard on several places that the ATF +4 works, but I am not willing to chance it myself. $40 every 30,000 or so miles is not that big a deal to me for a drain and refill (I have an inline tranny cooler and filter on my Elantra).

Where did you hear the SP III was no good? It is a decent fluid for its intended use. Many of the tranny horror stories are from using the incorrect fluid, not from SP III.

I did an ATF flush on my wifes 2007 Elantra and what came out was a filthy brown thin liquid. At first I thought I had somehow started to drain out the engine oil. SP III needs to be flushed at 30K intervals, maybe sooner if you have a lot of stop and go. It might be a great fluid when new but it does wear down quickly. As soon as the 100K warranty is up, ATF+4 is going in.

Originally Posted By: keith

As soon as the 100K warranty is up, ATF+4 is going in.

is atf+4 similiar enough that it is considered a better relpacement for sp III?

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: keith

As soon as the 100K warranty is up, ATF+4 is going in.

That all depends on who you ask. I wouldn't recommend any change away from SP3 if the vehicle still has a factory warranty. Hyundai have a reputation for denying transmission claims if the fluid in there is not SP3, and while you can fight it, who needs the aggravation and legal expense? If that's not a concern, ATF+4 is certainly a superior fluid in my experience, owning both Hyundai SP3 and Chrysler ATF+4 vehicles and doing my own flushes. ATF+4 with 30K miles on it is like new. SP3 at 30K miles is brown soup. Appearance isn't everything, and Hyundia themselves warn that the red dye in SP3 wears out, but I'm not impressed with the longevity of SP3 at all. That's a gut reaction, not confirmed by UOA. If it looks like cr*p, I don't have confidence in it.

All I can say is, when my Hyundai warranty is used up, ATF+4 is going in. I'll still flush at 30K and will be confident that the fluid is performing well the whole time. The fluids appear to have similar characteristics and anecdotally, people are happy with the shift quality of ATF+4 in SP3 transmissions.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike

Mike, of the +4 ATF's I looked at, they did say "suitable for some Hyundai and Mitsubishi vehicles" on the bottle, but did not say anything about SP-III.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back