Spicer 6+1 ESO65-7A medium duty manual

I have a 1998 International 4700 medium duty cab/chassis with a PTO driven crane on it. This has the T444e (7.3 power stroke) in it. I've done some research and there is a multitude of fluids which this transmission can take, everything from HDMO to 50wt oil.

This is an overdrive syncronized manual which weighs 500 pounds.

Here is a list of lubes I found on the Spicer/Dana website archives.
Screenshot_20240217_170345_Drive.jpg

Any advice?

Probably won't find those exact spec's anymore but they're might be newer ones that are retroactive. I'd try a Synthetic straight 50 that covers SF like an SM rated oil. How many miles are on this truck 150k? Also, Just an FYI you might want to move your r in "Previous" in your signature. Good luck!

Last edited:
A hydraulic R&O oil may be your best bet given the notes. Not sure if you’ll find a synthetic straight weight SF/CD. A conventional straight weight may also work but you need to check the specs. What does the dealer use?

Probably won't find those exact spec's anymore but they're might be newer ones that are retroactive. I'd try a Synthetic straight 50 that covers SF like an SM rated oil. How many miles are on this truck 150k? Also, Just an FYI you might want to move your r in "Previous" in your signature. Good luck!
140K on the truck. I expect to put maybe 5k a year on it. But it will have many PTO (idle) hours operating the pump.

Api SF oils aren't far off from todays in terms of additive packs, 80-88 i believe. They had lots of calcium and phosphorous. I honestly can't rationalize why any multigrade 30+ grade oil couldn't be used.

As funny as it might sound m1 0w-40 would be a good oil for it if it needs to run in the cold. If not whatever 20w-50 would be fine. M1 15w-50 would be fine as well. Any 15w-40 would work good too.

Api SF oils aren't far off from todays in terms of additive packs, 80-88 i believe. They had lots of calcium and phosphorous. I honestly can't rationalize why any multigrade 30+ grade oil couldn't be used.

As funny as it might sound m1 0w-40 would be a good oil for it if it needs to run in the cold. If not whatever 20w-50 would be fine. M1 15w-50 would be fine as well. Any 15w-40 would work good too.
Oh come on my thickie buddy, 0w-40 is water sauce. :ROFLMAO:

Crazy to think of running motor oil in a manual. ATF I can get my mind around, but Spicer's recommendations if motor oil really threw me for a loop!

Back