Spending a few hours in NYC

Thats $348 today.
Yikes!
Yes , very expensive back then. Carbon Fiber frame, Dow Corning glass lenses that were made for use by NASA for the shields on space helmets. They were designed to block glare, yet retain / enhance color and can be used in fog also. . At least that's how they were promoted.
They still do work much better than all of those expensive fancy plastic ones!

If New York city is anything like what it was when I was there in 1981, I'd say don't forget to pack some nose plugs.

I was only there for a cab ride from one airport to the other and the only thing I really remember was how awful it smelled.
So, one experience 41 years ago defines a city?

There’s no chance that your 40+ year old experience is no longer germane?

So, one experience 41 years ago defines a city?

There’s no chance that your 40+ year old experience is no longer germane?
For me it did, I couldn't imaging waking up every morning with that smell hanging in the air and I spent a lot of time on a hog farm growing up.

Did they clean the place up, if not I guess it's still relevant.

If New York city is anything like what it was when I was there in 1981, I'd say don't forget to pack some nose plugs.

I was only there for a cab ride from one airport to the other and the only thing I really remember was how awful it smelled.
I remember back in the '60's when I lived in Jersey and went to NYC coming out of the tunnel how different it smelled,not bad but different.
Same thing crossing the border into Mexico.
Same thing getting off the ship in Japan.
Same thing getting off the plane during the war in Viet Nam.
Everywhere has its's own smell.

We just visited NYC couple weeks ago. Yeah it smelled like pee and wacky weed but Boston smelled the same. Absolutely no problems. We walked 10 miles seeing alot in one day. Google maps gives excellent guidance on the subway, one way tickets are $3. We pretty much seen most.. Time Square, Central Park, Wall Street area, WTC memorial.. a lot more. I guess it depends on what you want to see and time. .99 pizza is a pretty good and cheap place to grab a slice.. 2.25 for 2 slices and a Pepsi.

Take a stroll on the high line. There’s a great Turkish place at the one end to eat at outdoors if it’s not too hot. Or go down and ride the staten island ferry across and back.

I was on vacation in NYC last month for vacation, learned a lot!

Traffic isn’t as bad as I thought, but driving in Manhattan is a waste of time. Almost no parking. Take the subway everywhere, it works fantastic. Use Apple Maps or Google Maps and click the public transit option, it’ll tell you where to drop into the nearest subway and which train to take and when it comes, they’re every 8 minutes tops. Very very easy. You can zoom across Manhattan from the south end all the way up to Central Park in less than 15 minutes. Can pay by credit card, $2.75 per ride per person. Cheap!

Central Park was beautiful, I loved that. Lots of walking. Can rent bikes from Citi and ride around.

Bleecker Street Pizza was amazing.

The World Trade Center memorial was really nice too. I went to the top.

I didn’t go inside the Empire State Building but it was boring from the outside.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take a stroll on the high line. There’s a great Turkish place at the one end to eat at outdoors if it’s not too hot. Or go down and ride the staten island ferry across and back.
Yes, the high line is great!

Another vote for the high line. Whole thing is a nice walk, or take a stop around 23rd (pretty sure that is where there are stairs to the street) and explore Chelsea a bit. When I have a few hours to kill I'd often stop by Bryant Park or Madison Square Park, find a place to relax and people watch.

Keep in mind a bunch of stuff is going to be 20 or 30 minutes walking depending on how far they want to go and stops to check out XYZ that they pass along the way, so a few hours go fast.

Back