Spending a few hours in NYC

BITOG'ers -

My wife, mother-in-law and 13- and 14-year-old daughters will be boarding a cruise departing from Manhattan on Sunday, Aug. 21. They'll be driving into the city and parking at the cruise ship dock which is off of 12th Ave. near DeWitt Clinton Park. They'll have a few hours to kill prior to getting on the ship and they're all excited to experience the city as much as possible in that limited time.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd prefer not to send them out into the boroughs in case traffic prevents them from being able to get back in time to get on the ship. Ideally, given the time frame, I'd like them to stay in mid-town.

If New York city is anything like what it was when I was there in 1981, I'd say don't forget to pack some nose plugs.

I was only there for a cab ride from one airport to the other and the only thing I really remember was how awful it smelled.

Skip any notion of going up the Empire State Building as they don't hurry you along. People linger up there making the line quite long. That is a perfect example of an "earliest time you get up" attraction. It is cool. When you ever do go, the 86th floor observatory is all you need to do. The 102nd floor is absolutely a trip but it's a tiny throwback and holds so few people. You can see the outside of it under King Kong's feet towards the end of the 1933 (pretty sure) classic movie.

The High Line is cool. It's the refurbed (into a park) train lines which served the West Side. People don't know trains came into Grans Central and some passengers didn't even have to get off the train. Cars were shunted down the West Side. Westbeth apartments are there at the site of the old Western Electric plant The transistor was invented there. It's free and you can go downstairs in various neighborhoods. Cool restaurants / bars.

Use common sense when traveling. Ignore the fear news. They police the good neighborhoods well. Bashing cities has always been part of some people's agendas.

If you're at the docks (pier) and your legs hurt, just walk or cab it to 9th Ave. for a real city setting and good lunch.

23 years !
I guess they were pretty good.
Ha! "Still have" is a long way from "ever wear any more". They were stylish in '99. And now come to think of it my daughters ARE getting to the age where embarrassing them is amusing. I think it might be time for these bad boys to see the light of day again.

If New York city is anything like what it was when I was there in 1981, I'd say don't forget to pack some nose plugs.

I was only there for a cab ride from one airport to the other and the only thing I really remember was how awful it smelled.
Our city smells already. And we're right across the river from Detroit. I am confident it'll be a step up. :^)

Ha! "Still have" is a long way from "ever wear any more". They were stylish in '99. And now come to think of it my daughters ARE getting to the age where embarrassing them is amusing. I think it might be time for these bad boys to see the light of day again.
Mandatory.

With such limited time, I would Uber up and hit one of the more famous restaurants. Yes, crime rate is through the roof and random acts of violence are at a level not seen in a few decades. Chances are the areas you will be in/around will be just fine. You'll notice a high % of women wear no jewelry, including wedding rings and that is a wise move. Take the opportunity and make the most of it.

Reactions: GON
I'd keep it simple. Walk to and in Central Park. There always seems to be something interesting going on in the park. Maybe pick out a restaurant for lunch in the area.

If you're driving in NYC, it's an experience if you're not used to it. Your wife might want a strong cocktail after parking the car.

Freedom Tower and the Intrepid would be good choices and pretty close. Typically traffic on a Sunday moderates, however driving in NYC can be a real hoot no matter what day it is. I occasionally drive into NYC [as a passenger/navigator] with an associate to work, driving in the NYC is not fun.

You saying Manhattan. But if the cruise ship is docked on the Brooklyn side it takes time to get from the city. The time must be allowed for that.

If you're driving in NYC, it's an experience if you're not used to it. Your wife might want a strong cocktail after parking the car.
I'd be more worried about NYC, who might not be ready for my wife's driving; but nonetheless they're driving to the cruise ship dock parking lot, parking and then making their way into the city.

Back