Speed rating

Hi guys,

Still on this tire thing.

I know in Europe, it's actually illegal to install a lower speed rated tire

Is this mainly due to the potential for higher speed limits?

I know in Quebec it's the same, but in Ontario apparently not

Very strange.

I have this set of v rated Pirelli P7 lined up, but after a weekend road trip on the h rated Toyos, the range has come back nicely with a few extra psi.

The car originally had v rated, so that was my last concern hanging onto these instead of pulling the trigger on the new rubber.

In the US, it's not illegal, but most shops won't do it for fear of getting sued. If your tire shop installs them without saying anything, then don't say anything ;)

Read what our resident tire engineer has to say:

This might be a good time to announce new content on BarrysTireTech.com.

I got motivated in February and have been writing ever since. Currently working on traction - and that one is going to be a long one.

This might be a good time to announce new content on BarrysTireTech.com.

I got motivated in February and have been writing ever since. Currently working on traction - and that one is going to be a long one.
Thats really cool. CapriRacer, are you Barry? I'll definitely be keeping an eye out.

Yup, that's me.

And you don't have to keep an eye out. It's there now (except for the page on traction). I've marked everything that is new/revised.
That's awesome. Really nice to have you as a resource on here. And thanks again

Hi guys,

Still on this tire thing.

I know in Europe, it's actually illegal to install a lower speed rated tire

Is this mainly due to the potential for higher speed limits?

I know in Quebec it's the same, but in Ontario apparently not

Very strange.

I have this set of v rated Pirelli P7 lined up, but after a weekend road trip on the h rated Toyos, the range has come back nicely with a few extra psi.

The car originally had v rated, so that was my last concern hanging onto these instead of pulling the trigger on the new rubber.

You CAN install a lower speed rating tyre in europe, just not lower than the top speed of the car. Winter tyres are exempt but you need to have a label in the car stating the max speed for the winter tyres and only from november to march (for my locale).

I owned a 2001 BMW 330Ci for 17 years. The car had a top speed limiter of ~128mph. The same car in europe does not have a speed limiter. Why? Lawyers believed that US owners would replace the "V" rated tires (+149mph) with "H" rated tires (130MPH).

I'm in Alberta and my winter tires have a lower speed rating than my stock all-seasons. Costco installed them. Pretty sure they will only do that for winter tires though.

I just put a set of new tires on the wifes 2018 Elantra GT and told her the tires were rated for 149 MPH so keep the speed down going to the grocery store.
The car has 17,500 miles on it,it's a true grocery getter.

Back