Speed Channel ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm no fan of NASCAR, losing a motorsports channel for one that will simply show more of the same old hockey, football, baseball and basketball is just depressing. We already have WAY too much coverage of those...count me as one whose TV will NEVER be tuned to Fox Sports 1.

Last edited:
Well, that's messed up. No wonder Wind Tunnel announced last week that this next weeks show will be their last.

The Speed Channel should keep up with the times (the world is going into the "Green" direction) so they should remake themselves as "Eco Motorsports Channel" or something... THEN, more of the tree huggers will tune in, because they will think the channel is supporting their cause
thumbsup2.gif

I'm also sad to see it go but the constant Nascar coverage was [censored] me off anyway, and I'd be forced to tune into something else to get my REAL RACING fix for the day. As long as BBC keeps on rolling, so I can watch Top Gear, I'm good.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
How often is Nascar televised on the Speed Channel anyway?

That's the problem. I'm no Nascar fan at all, but a Speed Channel should be showing plenty of motorsports. 16 hours a day of an overpriced auction starts out interesting, but gets repetitive and old in a hurry.

I gave up no Speed years ago when it became the Nascar Channel, nothing wrong with Nascar its just not my cup of tea. I only watched Wind Tunnel however this season has been horrible with the show reduced to 30 min if its a Nascar weekend good luck having any other dialogue.

Here's what I posted on Autoblog:

There's something wrong here. Fox (who I generally like) bought "Speedvision" about a decade ago as they obviously saw the idea of a channel devoted to automotive/motorsports coverage a viable concept.

But gradually, they replaced international motorsports coverage with NASCAR shows and automotive 'reality' shows (No, I will never forget the atrocity that was: "Texas Hardtails").

As one Speed forum contributor lamented: "I wish Speed would try to be the ESPN for car guys instead of the MTV for car guys." That sums things up nicely.

Formula 1 (and occasional weekend morning fare such as "Stacey David's Gearz") were the only reasons I tuned in as often as I did. I didn't leave Speed ... it left me.

Automotive programming has a strong following ... note the Velocity and NBC Sports Channel's current line-ups ... but Fox mismanaged the concept terribly.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Warstud
How often is Nascar televised on the Speed Channel anyway?

That's the problem. I'm no Nascar fan at all, but a Speed Channel should be showing plenty of motorsports. 16 hours a day of an overpriced auction starts out interesting, but gets repetitive and old in a hurry.

I feel the same way as well, and besides the ridiculous white glove, ultra wealthy auctions, they started getting REALLY 'jive' with their NASCAR related (and otherwise) reality shows, and 'pseudo-celebs', time/effort/money which could have been spent showing WRC/DTM/WTCC/etc.
frown.gif

Well that sucks, I enjoyed Pass Time and a few other shows(yeah I guess they are all reruns)... As far as NASCAR they didn't carry the Cup races but I did occasionally watch Nationwide though those are usually on ESPN 2... They'll be racing at Mid Ohio this weekend, ought to be fun to watch...

Speed fades away; NBCSports emerges. If it wasn't for F1, I'd dump all but the basic DirecTV packages. Really too bad to see Speed go - I'd think just the url dot com would be worth its weight in gold.

I looked at the next day's programming on my satellite box for FS1: a rerun NASCAR race, and a bunch of stick-and-ball reporting. This is less motorsports coverage than ESPN had 30 years ago.

What a sick joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back