Speed Bleeder screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used these before? They seem like a good product that will make brake bleeding much easier. I have purchased all four for my Mazda3 and will install them and bleeding the brakes sometime in the next few weeks. I am hoping I didn't just waste my money on a gimmick.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

An awesome product that enables one-person bleeding.

I have the appropriate-sized reversible ratcheting wrench that I dedicate to the speed bleeders, a la:
GearWrench at amazon.com

Slip on wrench, slip on tubing, loosen, bleed, tighten, remove tubing, remove wrench.

I've been happy with them. You do need to be careful not to overtighten them as they are weaker than the normal bleed screws and break more easily.

Asterix

They can work well.
Since you already bought them, use care in installation and use.
BTW, there is no need to break out a 48" long breaker bar to tighten them!

Yep, I have the metric and standard versions of those GearWrench ratchets.

Why are they weaker than normal bleeder screws?

Last edited:
The hole along the length is larger because it needs to hold a spring and ball, plus a pressed-in piece to keep them trapped. So, the walls are thinner than regular bleed screws. It's no big deal if you're careful.

Asterix

ANY bleeder valve, stock or aftermarket, should not be gorilla'd on.
This distorts the seat, and causes later removal problems for other reasons.

Related but a bit off tipic...

Im replacing(tomorrow) the Passenger Rear Caliper on my daughters 06 Mazda3 because, when bleeding out the brake system the other day(Tue the 20th), this one stripped when retightening(now it just turns and turns). It was very hard to unscrew while trying to bleed. I think that the last person working on this car overtightened it. And I think that these bleeder screws are a bit weak as I had a bit of trouble with all of them.

Here's the strange thing...I called all of the AutoZone, PepBoys, AdvAutoParts along with a couple of other local auto parts stores and the Mazda dealer. No body carries these bleeder screws for this car. The dealer wanted $12.95 each and they wouldn't come in for 5-7 business days. Plus an additional $5.00 to get them sooner. ARE YOU JOKING ME!

I didn't want to wait that long only to find out that the threads are also stripped on the inside of the caliper so I ordered a reman caliper on Tue 20th from Rock Auto, $68/& change + core and shipping (it will be here this afternoon). Nobody carried the caliper either, including the dealer...5-7 business days for that too! Or pay extra for faster shipping(your choice, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days). For a reman caliper, AutoZone wanted $145.+ core as did some other online parts stores such as AutoParts WareHouse and others, and the dealer wanted $345. I need this NOW! My daughter is a traveling newspaper reporter and she left her car with me while she's taking a week vacation. Gotta have it for Monday.

I should have just changed the oil/filter and washed the car but, I try to Fatherize the car each time she come home as to eliminate problems on the road. My Bad!

Char Baby,...It's not your fault ,your bad ,or anything other than a concerned dad doing whats in his Daughters best interest. These things happen when one puts a wrench on a vehicle,it's to be expected,but its' also why I presoak bleeders the day before w/penentrating solvent .Yes ,and there are those too tight gorillas roaming as well,with wrench in hand.

Last edited:
Your right Rob :)
I did soak the bleeders but only about an hour prior to doing the bleeding. I replaced the caiper, and while holding the old caliper, I looked into the bleeder hole(screw removed)and it too was worn almost smooth. The rebuild caliper has an oversized bleeder screw. Either this is normal rebuilding procedures(to tap new threads) or this is a problem for this Mazda3.

My daughter bought this car late Sept 09 w/< 50,000 miles. She has 64,000 miles (14,000 miles in 8 mo). Runs/looks/performs great! I've been working on cars for almost 40 years(shadetree only) and I still brake stuff. I'll never learn...I can't leave well enough alone...That ain't me!...I always fix what I break :)

We dont stock calipers because the sales history is so low on them that it's not worth wasting shelf space, same with the bleeders.

Mazda normal orders for us take 2 business days and Mazda only accepts orders on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, we can put a critical order in, but then we get charged shipping and processing from Mazda. All of that is assuming the part is in our facing parts distribution center, if it isn't then it about 7 business days worst case scenario.

Now on the other hand, on the Ford side, I have parts next day from out facing warehouse, which is down the street from the Mazda warehouse. Parts that come from Memphis warehouse are overnighted on FedEx at no charge.

bdcardinal,
Funny you should mention Ford! This caliper hold down bracket has stamped on it...FoMoCo. There are some shared parts with the Focus, I guess!

The Mazda3 is based on the European Ford Focus. Take a look at more stuff underneath the car, you will see lots of FoMoCo stamping. The 3 is really a Ford is disguise...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We dont stock calipers because the sales history is so low on them that it's not worth wasting shelf space, same with the bleeders.

Mazda normal orders for us take 2 business days and Mazda only accepts orders on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, we can put a critical order in, but then we get charged shipping and processing from Mazda. All of that is assuming the part is in our facing parts distribution center, if it isn't then it about 7 business days worst case scenario.

Now on the other hand, on the Ford side, I have parts next day from out facing warehouse, which is down the street from the Mazda warehouse. Parts that come from Memphis warehouse are overnighted on FedEx at no charge.

Just out of curiosity are you supplied out of modesto for your ford parts? I used to be able to get ford parts out of Richmond here in the Bay Area if i got my order in before 2 and the dealer had a truck heading that way they would just pick them up at the depot. NOW its next morning if no other local dealers stock them.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
The Mazda3 is based on the European Ford Focus. Take a look at more stuff underneath the car, you will see lots of FoMoCo stamping. The 3 is really a Ford is disguise...

I know that the engine(s) are the same...2.0L aprox 148-150 HP
I don't know if the Focus uses an optional 2.3L that the Mazda3 uses. The tranny's may be the same as well(man/auto), I don't know! I have driven standard Focus'(decent car) as rental vehicles and they don't have the same charactor as the Mazda3 nor does the Focus 2.0L feel as responsive as the 3's w/ VV-T

I said it is based on the European Focus not the Americanized one which is different. They are two different chasis. The Euro focus looks like this:

Ford_Focus_C1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dualie
Just out of curiosity are you supplied out of modesto for your ford parts? I used to be able to get ford parts out of Richmond here in the Bay Area if i got my order in before 2 and the dealer had a truck heading that way they would just pick them up at the depot. NOW its next morning if no other local dealers stock them.

my facing depot is in Ontario, but its actually in Rancho Cucamunga. parts from the Sacramento PDC take 2 days, one to drive down the 5 to Rancho, then one more to get up here.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I said it is based on the European Focus not the Americanized one which is different. They are two different chasis. The Euro focus looks like this:

Ford_Focus_C1.jpg

I read somewhere that, the Euro Focus is coming to the states. Good for FORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back