Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on how well the no change just add oil lawn mowers will standup?

ttps://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/innovations/push-mowers/just-check-and-add-technolog

Last edited:
Not long enough to get me to buy one.

Sticking with my Toro Commercial 2 Cycle Suzukis.

1 vintage 1999, 1 vintage 2000, 1 vintage 2003.

Originally Posted by David2431

What air/fuel ratio do you run/

Most lawnmowers don't get regular oil changes. Just the Bitoggers' ones.
laugh.gif

Change oil at 25 hours and again at 50 hours to get the sparklies out. After that, just keep it topped up. Motor will run plenty long enough for the deck to rust out or the wheels to collapse.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner

Probably around 14.7:1

I know today's oils are a lot better than they used to be, but personally, I'd figure out a way to change the oil. Even if it meant flipping the mower over.

It says no change but there's nothing stopping you. I change my OPE once a year with my MityVac.

Meanwhile this last spring I helped my dad change the oil in his Craftsman riding mower for the first time since, in his words, "you were in high school." Both examples are extremes.

They must do something different to them because the manual for the engines specifically states that if it ia not a check and add model you must change yhe oil at the normal 50 hour interval.

I would just tip it on its side to change it anyway. I've always used drain plugs but my new honda gcv200 is a tip style oil change and honestly after doing it twice I prefer it over anything else. Before I used to hunt for something to prop the mower up on, get a wrench, take the drain plug out blah blah etc.. Tipping the honda is a breeze and the whole process to full and done takes about three minutes. No tools or anything.

Originally Posted by eljefino

Probably around 14.7:1

Oops meant oil/fuel

Any thoughts on how well the no change just add oil lawn mowers will standup?

ttps://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/innovations/push-mowers/just-check-and-add-technolog

a lot longer than you may realize. Most mowers are junked due to issues OTHER than the motor. And most are not changed. I picked my mower up free, drive cable broke. Changed the oil multiple times....still comes out dark. Doubt it had ever been changed yet runs perfect.

Oh they'll probably be fine. Most lawn mowers see less than 50 hours per year and we all know they can tolerate some wicked abuse and neglect. How many of us grew up with generic hardware store brand mowers that lasted 20+ years? I change the oil in my stuff every 2 years or so. Maybe. I check the level in the spring and have never had to add any (Honda GCV engine) and it has synthetic in it so I'm not too concerned. The B&S engines of today are light years ahead of the flatheads of yesteryear. My previous mower had a Briggs flatty on it that ran really good for about 16 years and had maybe 2-3 oil changes in that time. The governor failed on it, oversped, and blew. Had nothing to do with the oil in it.

IMO the oil is the life of the engine and I would still do my maintenance. Briggs makes a very good engine. I bought my Snapper w/Briggs 7.25 EX auto choke in 2012 and no issues with the motor.

Best lawnmowers ever manufactured, hands down!!! No other mower ever produced was/is as nearly indestructible as this one. I sold tons of these expensive heavy duty (and heavy) mowers to my commercial customers, and some of them are still in daily use today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back