Spectrum Internet - how to lower bill

I have standard internet. It is 25MBPS down / 5 UP. Yes indeed this sucks and is over priced now at $79.99 per month. They will only reudce the bill if cancel for 90 days. I also do not want to bundle phone and cable as I dont need either.

Any tips?

I do not have good FIOS or DSL in my area yet. 5G is kinda working.

I have standard internet. It is 25MBPS down / 5 UP. Yes indeed this sucks and is over priced now at $79.99 per month. They will only reudce the bill if cancel for 90 days. I also do not want to bundle phone and cable as I dont need either. \

Any tips?

I do not have good FIOS or DSL in my area yet. 5G is kinda working.
Try Verizon 5G fix wireless acess or T-Mobile both are cheaper than spectrum

😳
Their standard speed is 200 Mb/s or maybe 300 Mb/s. Where are you getting that it's 25 Mb/s ?

1682043780065.jpg

I'm wondering about this at my work as well, we have Spectrum. In fact I just E-mailed the owner to see if I could take a look at the bill.

We're currently getting 30mbps at what is likely top-tier business pricing. We're in the city where I assume infrastructure is fairly modern. My thought is that they've had some upgrades in recent years and don't tell anyone about it unless you call. I might be wrong, but probably worth the effort, I can't remember the last time I had 30Mbps at my home.

Can't speak specifically for Spectrum but I am sure you can validate if the following works with them by googling online.

Call up and tell the rep you want to "repackage". Before you do, look at what the cheapest internet only price is for new customers so you know. "Repackaging" should get you to the loyalty/retention department (last stop before cancelling) and they should be willing to adjust your price with a one year or two year contract. Then you need to call up and do it annually.

I do this every year and tell my provider I want the worst service to cut down on the back and forth. Occasionally my provider has a new sign up bonus like a $200 prepaid visa that they will not honor doing this, but they still honor the promo price - I would assume you may have to negotiate to that promo price or a bit higher.

Be prepared that the initial rep may disconnect you when they say they are going to transfer you and/or try to negotiate with you, decline and insist on repackaging or getting to the loyalty/retention department. The alternative to this is being prepared to cancel (and sign up under another name in the household as others have suggested). Just calling up to cancel and saying you are doing so because your service is too high is going to cause the initial rep to offer you some deal, and declining that offer(s) should get you to the loyalty department as well - but that tactic takes a lot longer in my experience.

Last edited:
How rural are you? You might have access to only DSL or satellite. Your speeds are pretty much DSL speeds and pricing.

5G Home Internet and an external antenna might work out for you.

I'm wondering about this at my work as well, we have Spectrum. In fact I just E-mailed the owner to see if I could take a look at the bill.

We're currently getting 30mbps at what is likely top-tier business pricing. We're in the city where I assume infrastructure is fairly modern. My thought is that they've had some upgrades in recent years and don't tell anyone about it unless you call. I might be wrong, but probably worth the effort, I can't remember the last time I had 30Mbps at my home.
Spectrum in an urban setting, for a business, could also be Spectrum Enterprise fiber... or it could be Business Class coax.

A lot of the times you negotiate your contract (X speed for $X/mo) and unless you re-negotiate that... it stays that. We had a site that was still 7x768k coax internet.

How rural are you? You might have access to only DSL or satellite. Your speeds are pretty much DSL speeds and pricing.

5G Home Internet and an external antenna might work out for you.
I am rural and can strongly urge against DSL or satellite.
5G should also be cautioned depending on how close you are to a tower, but generally it is less reliable that wired high speed internet.

if you are elligible for spectrum internet assist then they can take $30 off your bill
Isn't that just the federal ACP renamed so it sounds like something only they offer? The ACP is a $30 subsidy on almost any broadband service.

How’s your cell signal? Does your phone/provider allow decent hotspot? If so, would that be feasible for the next 90 days?

In an old building I used to work in the WiFi was awful and I was able to put my phone in the window and setup a hotspot for my laptop. It was much slower than home, because I think I only 1 bar 4G LTE (this was before 5G) but it was better than the WiFi.

//

you don’t have any other providers?

If not, I’ve had some luck getting a manager to set me up with promo pricing even though I was an existing customer. That didn’t work this last time with Breezeline, so I switched to XFinity for less than half the cost. XFinity is new to the area, so that was good

//

Does part of that bill include router and modem? If so, id recommend getting your own. Just make sure the modem is on your provider’s approved list. Any modem will work, but if you provide your typical use and where you need it we can help there.

Same here in the Buffalo NY area. $79.99/mo, but it's the 300/10 speed. There's no separate taxes, fees, line items shown. I was paying $74.99 for 3yrs or so and it recently jumped up to $79.99. No other options for me and cell signal by itself is weak at my home.

Last edited:
I have standard internet.
Have you ever swapped your modem ? They will actually contact customers that have old equipment, equipment that doesn't support their current speed tiers.

Does your bill indicate your speed is 25/5 rated ?

Back