Spectrol. Someone translate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I can get this oil for 1.99 a quart at the bargain store not too far from me. So I looked it up. This is what I got.

It's all Greek to me.

Spectrol is russian brand of Delfin Group located near the Moscow. low cost and very "marketing". yes, stay away from it

The oil is not the worst oil I have ever seen. It depends on what I was running it in. It has a high volatility reading but was within "API expanded range for PCMO".

It is much easier to stick with the Major brands and forget it.

I'd use it. The numbers don't really look bad and it's only flagged on the NOACK. API requires a max of 15% and it's at 16. Not really a huge issue.

It doesn't look like too bad an oil really. Other than noack which isn't a huge issue, and its not like its outrageously awful (pittpenn anyone?). But for close to 10 dollars for 5qts you can get supertech oil from wm, or even vwb for close to that price. A few dollars more would get you motorcraft semi syn. So could you use it? Absolutely and it would probably be fine. But there are better oils available for the same price, or a negligible amount more. At that price I would use vwb myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
It doesn't look like too bad an oil really. Other than noack which isn't a huge issue, and its not like its outrageously awful (pittpenn anyone?).

IMO, high volatility is a big issue. You're getting more deposits in the engine as a result. But like you said, it's not outrageously outside of spec.

Guys! The point is to define is it good oil or not?
Spectrol originally was an independent russian blender, small blender. Then Russian Delfin Group, who produces oil under Luxoil brand, bought Spectrol. In Russia we call blenders like Luxoil as "bodyaznick". Bodyaznick is a blender who does not look at high quality of finished products, who blends oils using any available base stocks and additives. IMHO In US Delfin Group has a contract witrh independent blender and produses Spectrol oils. Today they produce one level of quality, tomorrow - another. This is their stile. Thats all!

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I can get this oil for 1.99 a quart at the bargain store not too far from me. So I looked it up. This is what I got.

It's all Greek to me.

You can get Peak Conventional oil at Big Lots for $1 a quart!

Peak Oil, bottled by Warren Nebraska, has a $2 rebate on each quart, up to 5 quarts.

IMO....$5 for 5 quarts of oil that is most likely the same as SuperTech at WM is a steal!

Why mess around with an oil your not sure of.....nor is anyone else positive about the quality....Go with the Peak Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back