specs of penrite 10 tenths and penrite Mc4ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm contemplating using Penrite 15w-50 in my Yamaha XTZ1200 twin.
Ive been using yamalube 10w40 full syn (not the ester one). I feel the 10w40 is just a bit thin for some of the long hot rides I do in Australia. The manual says I can use a 15w50 so thought id give it a go.
Can anyone here look at the specs of the two penrite 15w50 pao ester full syn oils on these links and tell me if the motorcycle version really is better? Both are jaso rated for wet clutch. Both are high zinc.
penrite MC4ST 15W50 FULL SYN pao ester MARCH 2014 pdf
And
penrite 10 tenths full syn 15w50 pao ester pdf

Penrite 10/tenths 15w50 is not JASO MA rated but it does say it is suitable for wet clutches. I'd say it will work fine but IMO both are likely an overkill. They are very heavy oils with very high HTHS.

Penite like to do things differently. 15w50 is usually a cheaper mineral based option. You could argue manufacturers allow it as a cheaper option. I would rather use a full Syn 40 grade over a cheaper 50 grade.

Any reason you think the 10w40 is too thin in the first place? Long rides are typically easy on oil and maintain lower temperatures than around town driving. Given your bike is liquid cooled; it should have the ability to keep the engine at a suitable temperature easily, especially on a long ride.

Last edited:
Hi drew2, you could ask Penrite directly on their recommendation for your machine.
Either through the product chooser or contact page on their website.
I have done this a couple of times (vie email) and both times recieved timely and informative reples.
Cheers

Originally Posted By: supercity
Penrite 10/tenths 15w50 is not JASO MA rated but it does say it is suitable for wet clutches. I'd say it will work fine but IMO both are likely an overkill. They are very heavy oils with very high HTHS.

Penite like to do things differently. 15w50 is usually a cheaper mineral based option. You could argue manufacturers allow it as a cheaper option. I would rather use a full Syn 40 grade over a cheaper 50 grade.

Any reason you think the 10w40 is too thin in the first place? Long rides are typically easy on oil and maintain lower temperatures than around town driving. Given your bike is liquid cooled; it should have the ability to keep the engine at a suitable temperature easily, especially on a long ride.

Thanks for the replies. I really don't know anything about oils and if going a bit thicker is better or not, I just thought that the oil may be getting thinner after the 2000km mark because it seems to be a bit noisy. People keep telling me that big twins should run heavier oils than 10w40.
The only difference i can between the two Penrite 15w50 are the higher zinc content on the non bike specific oil. Not sure why less zinc is in the bike one.
The gear box is a bit clunky on the bike, also thought slightly heavier oil may help that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back