Specs of Honda 0w20 Type 2.0 oil

So I've got an FK8 Civic Type R and since owning it the dealer has used a different type of oil for each of the two services (Honda Ultra LEO 0w20 then a bulk 0W20 Castrol Edge). I haven't tracked the car (yet) and may do so but I also give a decent run every so often and live in an area where summer temps hit 40+ celsius.

While one option is Redline 0W20, to avoid warranty issues I wondered what sort of specs (HTHS mainly) the following oil may have:

Googling reveals almost nothing and if possible it would be good to know what makes this Type R specific as opposed to stuff like their LEO 0W20. Preferably more than just marketing and a slightly higher HTHS would be good.

If you mean track you definitely will need to step up the grade for that.

If you mean strip if anything you will want thinner than the street because you will likely be running at oil temps under 160F.

My Mustang is running 10W-30 on the street but if I take the time to change it I run M1 0W-20 at the strip and 15W-50 on the track (Protect mode doesn't engage until 150C - 302F Oil Temp in Track Program).

I like the bonkers oil recommendations you get when you go to [email protected]. I was just having some fun with it and looked at 3.3L Santa Fe and a 2.4L Honda Accord. For the Hyundai Mobil 1 recommended 0W-20 and for the Honda 5W-30 and 0W-40. Go figure 🙄

Doesn't tracking your car void the warranty anyway? I assume that if Honda was okay with it the Honda should include some special instructions that you need to follow when tracking the car. Like Chevrolet does with the Corvette: use 15W-50 on track, overfill with an extra quart of oil if you have a wet sump, don't use motor oil additives made from unicorn tears and so on.

@Gene K would Mobil 1 0W-30 racing oil work for his application when tracking the car or would that be a bridge too far?

Tracking the car under warranty is an interesting point.

They advertise it in Australia as being "built for the track", use track records in advertising and don't specifically exclude track use in the warranty description. So I'd have a strong argument under Australian consumer law under a truth in advertising provision that if you promote a vehicle as being suitable for a specific purpose ( 4WD, built for the track, towing big boats) then it must be capable of performing that function.

I also have an Hyundai i30N that is warranted for the track and their recommended oil is Shell Helix ECT C3 0W-30 with a HTHS of 3.5. Just interested in knowing what is so special about the Honda Type 2.0 oil and if due to the engine design of the K20C1 it will provide enough protection for 4-5 lap track runs or if a 0W-30 would be wiser.

I like the bonkers oil recommendations you get when you go to [email protected]. I was just having some fun with it and looked at 3.3L Santa Fe and a 2.4L Honda Accord. For the Hyundai Mobil 1 recommended 0W-20 and for the Honda 5W-30 and 0W-40. Go figure 🙄

Doesn't tracking your car void the warranty anyway? I assume that if Honda was okay with it the Honda should include some special instructions that you need to follow when tracking the car. Like Chevrolet does with the Corvette: use 15W-50 on track, overfill with an extra quart of oil if you have a wet sump, don't use motor oil additives made from unicorn tears and so on.

@Gene K would Mobil 1 0W-30 racing oil work for his application when tracking the car or would that be a bridge too far?

My programs in the ECM are based on the OEM programs. The Track Program has a 150C Protect Mode and the other programs have the 120C Protect Mode. Given the oil temps I have seen at Atlanta I like the 50 grade and haven't felt the need for a true race oil. The 10W-30 on the street is just for insurance given the higher bearing loadings and average oil temps compared to stock. Even 0W-3 is 10 cSt+ at Strip temps so you see why I think even 0W-20 is thick for that but I normally drive to the strip and that is as thin as I'm prepared to run on the street. I usually trailer the car to the track due to tires and all the stuff needed for changing brakes and more likely to need to Trailer home.

My programs in the ECM are based on the OEM programs. The Track Program has a 150C Protect Mode and the other programs have the 120C Protect Mode. Given the oil temps I have seen at Atlanta I like the 50 grade and haven't felt the need for a true race oil. The 10W-30 on the street is just for insurance given the higher bearing loadings and average oil temps compared to stock. Even 0W-3 is 10 cSt+ at Strip temps so you see why I think even 0W-20 is thick for that but I normally drive to the strip and that is as thin as I'm prepared to run on the street. I usually trailer the car to the track due to tires and all the stuff needed for changing brakes and more likely to need to Trailer home.

Thank you for all that information, I learn more and more here every day. The reason why I asked about the Mobil 1 0W-30 Racing Oil for the OP's Honda is that that's the lowest viscosity racing oil they offer, at least that's what I've seen on Mobil1.com. Looking at various VOAs it looks like this oil is on steroids, loaded with over 2000ppm of ZDDP, 1860ppm Moly, and about 3000ppm Calcium. So it's formulated like a racing oil and it's made from PAO basestock (no Group III or GTL mixed in). Since OP wants to track a small displacement turbo motor that he will probably rev the bolts off during his sessions, I was wondering if a racing oil would serve him well. That's why I asked if it's a bridge too far. I doubt he will drag race his car in typical fashion. Heck, I that Mobil 1 racing oil has so much ZDDP and Moly in it that I could use it as an additive. Doing some simple math, if I add a quart of that stuff to 6 quarts of 5W-20 or even 0W-40 in my RAM 1500 I would up the Moly levels to about 345ppm (including the moly that's already in the other oil). I could probably kill his catalytic convertor.

The original Honda oem 0w20 Comes pur from idemitsu. The results are very Good, on racetrack , too. Moly is About 600ppm.

i know this thread is old but where can you buy this oil? I went to the dealer and they had Honda "Ultimate" synthetic. i don't think that's type 2.0. they looked at me like I had two heads when i asked for it specifically. had my first oil change there and they used Valvoline. :rolleyes:

Back