Specific Oil Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 2003 Nissan Murano. It only has 380 miles on it now, so I plan on waiting the 3,750 the manual says to change the oil. I want to make the motor last a long time, so what should I get for...

Air Filter?
Oil Filter?
Oil?

I live in Las Vegas, so it's hot and dusty out here. I was thinking of using the Amsoil XL7500 because the longest I can go according to the manual is 7,500 between oil changes. Any inputs? Thanks....
smile.gif

Dookie, a simple and foolproof way to assure the longest possible powertrain life is to keep your new Nissan in factory original condition throughout its life. This means maintaining it with genuine Nissan parts, filters and fluids such as genuine Nissan coolant, brake fluid and automatic transmission fluid and changing these at the severe service intervals listed in the Nissan maintainance manual. Any major brand API certified SL engine oil, either dino or synthetic is capable of enabling your Nissan to reach 400,000 miles or more. No one here can provide any actual case history evidence that one particular brand or type of engine oil would make your Nissan engine last substantially longer. Not even the oil companies have ever provided this kind of evidence. And far more important than engine oil brand or type is regular servicing / replacing all the cooling system components so the engine never runs even slightly hot and performing tune ups and emmission control sysyem service on schudule so the engine never misses, hesitates or is stressed in any way due less than optimum combustion.

On Nissan's website there is a "premium maintainance schedule" you can follow to assure the longest possible vehicle life. Not just the engine, but all drivetrain components. I havn't checked to see if this schedule is the same as the severe sevice schedule or is even more service intensive.

As far as the oil goes, if I were to use M1, would it be safe to change it every 7,500 miles, even in the dirt/hot conditions here? Or should I just use a dino oil and change every 3,000 miles?

You would have to check with Nissan. Toyota, on its website, emphatically warns owners not to extend oil change intervals when using synthetic oil. So does Mobil oil on the Mobil 1 website.

The severe service oil change interval Nissan recommends is 3,750 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Malibu:
Any major brand API certified SL engine oil, either dino or synthetic is capable of enabling your Nissan to reach 400,000 miles or more.

That's a pretty bold statement, especially considering the fact that not a single car has yet to go 400,000 miles using nothing but SL dino oil.

Dookie,

I'm sort of biased about the Amsoil stuff, but I think you are on the right track. Either Amsoil or Mobil 1, 5w-30 would be excellent in this motor....I'd advise using the regular Amsoil 5w-30 formulation - "ASL" - instead of the XL-7500 series stuff and changing it every 7500 miles after engine break in. The regular Amsoil 5w-30 has a significantly better additive package and 7500 mile drain intervals would be very conservative, based on my experience with this oil in other Nissan V-6 engines. I would run a petroleum oil for the first 7500 miles, with a couple of changes, to make sure the engine is fully broken in before running 7500 mile change intervals with Amsoil.

Provided you use high quality air/oil filters, running 7500 miles shouldn't present any problems as far as engine dirt is concerned. I was stationed at Edwards AFB, CA in the Mohave Desert for four years in the mid 1980's and was running 12,000 miles with Amsoil in my 1985 VW Jetta with excellent results.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me off-line.

Ted

Either Amsoil or Mobil 1. If you decide jto go with the Mobil1-go with the 10W-30 vs the 5W-30. It seems to ge a little more durable than the 5W stuff. As far as filters- make sure you go with the longer filter. That would be Mobil 1-110 or the K&N H-P 1010. This filter is the same used on the year 2000 Maxima Filter. Never-never use the shorter version. I personally would not use a higher efficiency filter -Pure One, or Mobil 1 for the full 7500 miles. I am partial to the K&N-but that's just me. I have about 7500 miles on my Sentra now with that filter.Yeally don't know anything about the Nissan OEM filter. It's probably OK but who really knows??

quote:

Originally posted by Malibu:
Dookie, a simple and foolproof way to assure the longest possible powertrain life is to keep your new Nissan in factory original condition throughout its life. This means maintaining it with genuine Nissan parts, filters and fluids such as genuine Nissan coolant, brake fluid and automatic transmission fluid and changing these at the severe service intervals listed in the Nissan maintainance manual.

There is nothing simple or foolproof about what you're recommending. Car makers are just like any other company who has to outsource the production of items they don't make themselves. As such, they are always looking to increase their profits and lower their costs. This means the company that can make these items at the lowest cost gets the contract to do so. And the company that has the contract this year may not be the one who has it next. A good example is Honda's current "Genuine Honda Oil Filters" which are made by Fram and are typical Fram junk.

And since you seem to be so big on this "use OEM everything," why don't you be consistent and say to get the max life out of your car you should use the OEM-branded oil, too?

I have the Amsoil 0W-30 in my 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer, but after reading this forum, I am quite concerned with the API rating and warranty issues. I am starting to lean towards M1 for this reason. Whats a good air filter to use?

It can be because it only rains here from Jan - Apr, typically. That being said, it gets pretty dusty in summer. Reading off of Amsoils website regarding the S2000 0W-30, it says that it's recommended for cars that call for API SL oils. Whats the deal with that?

I spent a week in Vegas a few years ago and was amazed at both the heat (averaged 112*F each day) and the low humidity. After that, I know I'd never use anything but a synthetic if I lived there. Hence, I'd recommend you go with Mobil 1 10w30.

quote:

Originally posted by Dookie:
It can be because it only rains here from Jan - Apr, typically. That being said, it gets pretty dusty in summer. Reading off of Amsoils website regarding the S2000 0W-30, it says that it's recommended for cars that call for API SL oils. Whats the deal with that?

The "deal" is that Amsoil can only say it's recommended for SL applications because the oil doesn't carry the SL rating.

Dookie,

You just asked a bunch of oil and filter nuts to come up with a single recommendation for you. It's not gonna happen....

Here's what I'd do...
Change your oil at 3750 and use any good regular 10W-30 oil. I like Chevron, Castrol, and Pennzoil. Use a Nissan filter, or a Purolator Pure One PL14610 (when they reach the market).

Change again at 7500 and 11,250 with the same type of oil. At 15,000, switch to Mobil 1 10W-30. I know, don't need to wait this long. Yes, but you're removing any break-in particles, manufacturing dirt, leachate from the silicon seals, etc. Switch to Mobil 1 sooner if you like, 7500 is OK.

After you start using the synthetic oil, at 5000 miles, send a sample to Terry Dyson. Follow his advice on oil and oil drain interval.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/terry.html

Ken

Dookie, I have a 2000 Infiniti G20 which has the Nissan 2 litre dohc engine. Since it was new I have been searching for the best oil and filter to use because of a very irritating start up noise that the dealer claims is "normal" and "thry all do it". I have used Nissan, Napa Gold, Wix, Fram, Supertech, STP, Bosch, and Purolator Pure One on this car and I can assure you that the Nissan filter is without a doubt the best to use. I may still give the Motorcraft a try to complete this survey. The Nissan oil filter will give you good service. Guess what guys, it also has cardboard end plates!

quote:

Originally posted by ALJAMES:
Dookie, I have a 2000 Infiniti G20 which has the Nissan 2 litre dohc engine. Since it was new I have been searching for the best oil and filter to use because of a very irritating start up noise that the dealer claims is "normal" and "thry all do it". I have used Nissan, Napa Gold, Wix, Fram, Supertech, STP, Bosch, and Purolator Pure One on this car and I can assure you that the Nissan filter is without a doubt the best to use. I may still give the Motorcraft a try to complete this survey. The Nissan oil filter will give you good service. Guess what guys, it also has cardboard end plates!

I'm curious...how did you determine that the Nissan filter was "without a doubt the best to use"?

Well, here is my 2 cents worth on this topic. I have a Nissan Sentra that uses Nissan oil and air filters. Don't know who makes them and don't care. I use Pennzoil Synthetic 5W30 (GroupIII), and I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I have been doing that since the car had 1,000 miles on it. It does not use a drop of oil and it is as clean as a whistle. By the way, how clean is a whistle. Guess it depends who plays it.

So Dookie, did you get rid of your RSX for the Murano? Get tired of the oil consumption?

As far as oil advice, follow the owners manual's recommendation on weight. As far as brand, you may have to experiment. As far as interval, let oil analysis guide you. Nobody, including the car maker, knows what the best interval is for your type of driving. Oil analysis can tell you unambiguously how long you can use an oil.

Oil analysis can help you answer your questions about which air and oil filter to use also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back