Spec me an oil. 1996 crusader xl

New to me boat. 1996 silverton 362 with crusader xl. I think just old school gm not sure if a flat tappet cam?? What oil. Prefer high zinc diesel.

Haven’t been active lately what’s the hot ticket oil.

Nice boat !
most likely running twin 454 in it. ?
i would run 15w40 or a 5w40 synthetic oil in it.
Actually best oil may be a euro spec oil in 0w40 5w40 grade.

I second the comment "Nice boat!"

If it were mine, I would run M1 15w50 if I was starting the engines in above freezing temps. Anything colder, and I would run any decent Xw40 euro oil.

I second the comment "Nice boat!"

If it were mine, I would run M1 15w50 if I was starting the engines in above freezing temps. Anything colder, and I would run any decent Xw40 euro oil.
I'll second this comment. If I wasn't running a 100LL mix in my old boat, I'd be using M1, but since I do I use VR1 20w-50.

I'll second this comment. If I wasn't running a 100LL mix in my old boat, I'd be using M1, but since I do I use VR1 20w-50.
VR1 is one helluva oil, my only reason for choosing M1 over it is it's slightly cheaper. My brother uses VR1 with good results in his 383 powered jet boat. He took 2nd place in his class with that boat at a race a couple weeks ago.

Do you keep 100LL on your property? Out of curiosity, what are the benefits of VR1 when burning Avgas?

Mystik JT8 15w50

Can be bought and delivered by many places online. Rural King, Bains Farm and Fleet, Amazon, Ebay, Zoro, Orielly's autoparts, Directly from Citgo website http://www.citgo.com ... depending where you live you maybe able to buy it in store, easy to find doing a search. Its a Citgo product. Can be purchased in 1, 2 & 5 gallon containers.

Last edited:
15W or 20w - 40 or a 15W or 20W -50. Hard worked big blocks work well 40 or 50 wt oils. An over maintained boat is a happy boat? What about all the other fluids?

pan.VR1 is one helluva oil, my only reason for choosing M1 over it is it's slightly cheaper. My brother uses VR1 with good results in his 383 powered jet boat. He took 2nd place in his class with that boat at a race a couple weeks ago.

Do you keep 100LL on your property? Out of curiosity, what are the benefits of VR1 when burning Avgas?
Hi, our lake house is very near an airport. I just got fed up w/ fuel issues in the Spring despite treatments (no ethanol free in our great state except for the few stations that carry race gas). Pricey, but I don't use that much of it.

Synthetics don't, or at least the Mobil synthetics used in Mobil AV1, didn't adequately suspend lead deposits back in the day; the lead would settle out of the oil. Caused a fair amount of problems, but many owners never had any issues, I remember seeing a Lycoming with what looked like 1/8" of gray/black paint in the pan.

Interesting read; AVWEB AV1

I do not know if any modern synthetic is better, and the VR1 is more than adequate.

Last edited:
Hi, our lake house is very near an airport. I just got fed up w/ fuel issues in the Spring despite treatments (no ethanol free in our great state except for the few stations that carry race gas). Pricey, but I don't use that much of it.

Synthetics don't, or at least the Mobil synthetics used in Mobil AV1, didn't adequately suspend lead deposits back in the day; the lead would settle out of the oil. Caused a fair amount of problems, but many owners never had any issues, I remember seeing a Lycoming with what looked like 1/8" of gray/black paint in the pan.

Interesting read; AVWEB AV1

I do not know if any modern synthetic is better, and the VR1 is more than adequate.
That was an interesting read, I appreciate the link, and the explanation above.

Back