Speaking of smoking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
About smoking- I quit smoking- for the last time(had several practice sessions in the years before!
whistle.gif
)- 5 years ago today, just about this time of day. No substitutes, nicotine gum, support group, silly dramatics(I *stomped* on those cigarettes, blah blah!
smirk2.gif
), nothing, just quit after a little over 30 years.
thankyou2.gif

Only downside- for about 4 1/2 years now, I cannot stand the smell of canned tuna!
37.gif

IMO, when someone's ready to quit, they can & will.
thumbsup2.gif

I know that's true because my Dad did the same thing. Cold turkey, no drama.

There's a girl in my office that's been trying to quit for 3 years now. Done patches, gum, and most recently Chantix. Yes..she risked heart attach, stroke, and the rest of the nasty side effects for NOTHING. She's still puffing away. To me, she's basically lying to herself and everyone around her. She doesn't WANT to quit..she wants people to think she wants to quit. If she wanted it, she'd do it.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
About smoking- I quit smoking- for the last time(had several practice sessions in the years before!

Well, congratulations on saving yourself some money. I'm not going to lecture you or anybody on the health benefits. That's for you to decide.
What I found amazing was there was a hometown kid who was a year behind me in high school who died of lung cancer about a year ago. The final six months of his life was spent in a hospital withering away. It did not stop him from having the nurses take him outside about every hour to puff on a few cigs. (Small hospital, the time from his room to the outside smoke area was about 30 seconds) I guess the nicotine addiction was very powerful.

Several years ago approximately 50% of the adult population smoked.

Big push by government others that a reduction in smoking would greatly reduce health care and now numbers are 25% or less while the cost of health care has shot up like a rocket.

Smoking has become a big cash cow for government.

Guess they will soon jack up taxes on my Beer too??

My dad quit after smoking for 40 years, because his triglyceride counts being too high and he was worried that he would die so early, he won't be able to see a grand son ever in his life.

He quit successfully since 5-6 years ago, and now can't stand the smell of cigarettes either.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Several years ago approximately 50% of the adult population smoked.

Big push by government others that a reduction in smoking would greatly reduce health care and now numbers are 25% or less while the cost of health care has shot up like a rocket.

Smoking has become a big cash cow for government.

Guess they will soon jack up taxes on my Beer too??

It really is a delayed effect of former smoker needing health cares from years of smoking, other independent factors (malpractice lawsuits, illegal aliens, etc), and health care cost inflation, etc.

I'm hardly convinced that reducing the number of smokers would actually make the overall health care more expensive, unless you want them to die instead of prolonging their lives.

Good for you, congrats. I don't smoke. I did for 5 months and that was it. Never liked it. My mom's side of the family is plagued with cancer, some of it lung cancer. You would think my mom would quit smoking. Nope. Smoking for years. Probably over 20 years. Really angers me but there is nothing I can do.

Congratulations. Putting them down and not picking them back up is the only way to do it. The patches and gum only benefit the patch and gum companies.

I had a 2+ pack a day habit and quit cold turkey 36 years ago. I laid the pack of cigarettes and lighter on the coffee table and never again picked them up. They sat there for 3 months before I finally put them in the trash. No drama, just willpower.

I figure it took 10 years to really recover my health. I now run daily and bike every weekend. When I'm running and breathing hard I think back to the time when I was dumb enough to smoke, and wasn't able to catch enough breath to run 50 feet, let alone 5 or 6 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Good for you, congrats. I don't smoke. I did for 5 months and that was it. Never liked it. My mom's side of the family is plagued with cancer, some of it lung cancer. You would think my mom would quit smoking. Nope. Smoking for years. Probably over 20 years. Really angers me but there is nothing I can do.

When your mom is wheeling an oxygen tank along side of her she'll regret not quitting. She's probably defensive because she knows how difficult it is to stop. Maybe you should tell her that you understand this difficulty and failing to quit is nothing to be ashamed of but not trying to quit is a shame.

Having quit them myself, I think that a person who is a serious smoker and wants to quit cold turkey needs to be ready to go a little nuts for about 3-5 days. If you can last a month after that, I'd say you're in the clear.

This topic is now forbidden, since it pertains to a mood altering herb called tobacco. Tea and coffee are forbidden topics as well, since they also elevate the mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back