Speaking of buying ex rental cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020's are already showing up like this Corolla from Avis. All they want is $13,400.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

That looks like a pretty low hit, I'm thinking it has frame rail or subframe damage. $13k sounds way too high.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by atikovi
Guess it didn't work.

Did he get hit or did he hit somebody???

Looks like it got hit right there in the parking spot.

toyotas are good my dad bought a used rental

Never had a check engine light in it's 62k miles life(100% verifiable via the OBD2 reader)

25.gif

the transmission did have a little hiccup at 58k after a fluid change (could have been an air bubble in one of the lines) but runs fine now
i'm going to make a video and put in it on youtube.

Rentals are great as used cars. Most people are afraid to death of causing any problem with them, so they get driven easy. There is little to no substance to the claim that rentals are abused. And given that iatrogenic maintenance mistakes are a leading cause of problems these days, particularly in DI engines (ie: changing oil too often), the minimal maintenance applied to rentals actually is a feature.

Mildly OT--- I'd never really seriously looked at rental cars for sale, but just checked Enterprise and some of their Carfax reports. Every one I checked showed first reported oil change at 20k+ miles! Is this what they do, or do they change oil "in house" and it just doesn't get linked to the VIN & Carfax?

I can't imagine they'd go that long without a change. But, who knows LOL

Any rental car workers or anyone knowledgeable about this?

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Mildly OT--- I'd never really seriously looked at rental cars for sale, but just checked Enterprise and some of their Carfax reports. Every one I checked showed first reported oil change at 20k+ miles! Is this what they do, or do they change oil "in house" and it just doesn't get linked to the VIN & Carfax?

I work for Enterprise and we 100% do not wait until 20k miles to change the oil. We get new cars all the time and i always see them getting oil changes early in life. The computer system keeps track of when the car needs an oil change. The branches get rated on how good we are at keeping up with the oil changes. Also we cant rent a car if the computer says it needs an oil change. Honestly the cars are kept up pretty well. Any recalls or bodywork or check engine lights or wierd noises get adressed. And yes the cars do get driven hard at times but like said above many people are afraid to drive hard because its not there car. Modern cars are pretty good at protecting the engine or transmission from abuse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by joegreen
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis

I work for Enterprise and we 100% do not wait until 20k miles to change the oil. We get new cars all the time and i always see them getting oil changes early in life. The computer system keeps track of when the car needs an oil change. The branches get rated on how good we are at keeping up with the oil changes. Also we cant rent a car if the computer says it needs an oil change. Honestly the cars are kept up pretty well. Any recalls or bodywork or check engine lights or wierd noises get adressed. And yes the cars do get driven hard at times but like said above many people are afraid to drive hard because its not there car. Modern cars are pretty good at protecting the engine or transmission from abuse.

Got it. I figured it was something to do with not being reported to Carfax/VIN specifically. That's good info. Thanks!

Daughter, girlfriend and I all have HyunKia Hertz cars. No problems with any of 'em. St. Louis may be different because it's Enterprise's HQ but they get a LOT more for their cars than Hertz and National do.

My last CX5 spent 27K miles as a rental vehicle. I had zero issues with it that I could trace to that, for over 100K miles.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Rentals are great as used cars.

I think you forgot the "IMO" there...

Most people are afraid to death of causing any problem with them, so they get driven easy.

I think you forgot the "IMO" here too, although I will say without some sort of citation or reference to back up your claim, even an added "IMO" won't save your statement from being completely and utterly incorrect.

There is little to no substance to the claim that rentals are abused.

I think you forgot the "IMO" here too...this seems to be a pattern, perhaps more practice authoring replies would help?

And not to sound like a broken record, but without some sort of citation or reference to back up this claim, no amount of "IMO" will save this statement from being as completely and utterly incorrect as the last one.

And given that iatrogenic maintenance mistakes are a leading cause of problems these days, particularly in DI engines (ie: changing oil too often), the minimal maintenance applied to rentals actually is a feature.

I don't know exactly what you were trying to say with that sentence, but I don't think you succeeded in saying it. Please clarify and/or restate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back