Speaking French

FRENCH.jpg

Since english is basically an old french dialect anyway, your french must've been pretty good :)
My understanding is that English is a Germanic language that is fundamentally different than any of the romance languages BUT it gets muddied because at one point the aristocracy in England spoke mostly French after the Normal invasion in 1066. The end result is nearly 30% of English words are derived from their corresponding French cognate and there are often two different words commonly used to describe the same thing (in my examples food) but their use differed based on where someone would have encountered that animal.

Ex. The people on farms called it cow/sheep/pig from the old English while the aristocracy was served beef/mutton/pork which was derived from the French words boeuf, mouton, and porc.

My understanding is that English is a Germanic language that is fundamentally different than any of the romance languages BUT it gets muddied because at one point the aristocracy in England spoke mostly French after the Normal invasion in 1066. The end result is nearly 30% of English words are derived from their corresponding French cognate and there are often two different words commonly used to describe the same thing (in my examples food) but their use differed based on where someone would have encountered that animal.

Ex. The people on farms called it cow/sheep/pig from the old English while the aristocracy was served beef/mutton/pork which was derived from the French words boeuf, mouton, and porc.
Thank you for that explanation! I always wondered what Mutton was? Somethings I forget to look into by the time I get home and settle down for learning..

Back