spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I am using my father in laws 1996 Buick Roadmaster WOW what a car this thing hauls AS-! it has the 5.7 Impalla SS motor from what I remember. It had 133K on it and has a slight miss i think it can use some plugs and wires .. but does this thing have a distibutor and a cap ?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes it does and it is behind the water pump.For the plugs,stick with AC Delco only and avoid Bosch plugs.The plug wires,a very good brand or the AC Delco wires and avoid cheap plug wires.The plug wires from AutoZone and Advanced are two to stay away from,nothing but problems with them.

Originally Posted By: Rudy1999 250
besides JACOBS what are some good brands of wires ?

I've had good luck with Taylor and MSD wires. OEM ones (like the AC Delco ones mentioned above) tend to be good as well.

This is an LT1 engine and is a reverse flow engine design. The OptiSpark is the distributor and is on the front of the engine. You have to remove the water pump & the air pump to get to the OptiSpark. The O/S distributor is expensive. I would try replacing the plugs with the rec. AC Delco plugs. If that doesn't cure the miss, try replacing the wires. I want to warn you this is a major job. You can't get at them from the top, so you jack the car up and try to get to them from the bottom. It is a frustrating experience because they are routed under the cyl. heads and just over the cross member. I had to get an experienced LT1 mechanic with a lift to replace the wires on my 1994 Impala. Oh, yes, if you do replace the Opti, consider replacing the water pump, too, if it hasn't been replaced lately.

Actually, Bosch wires are also very good as an additional option.
Avoid their plugs unless the cars specifically calls for them.

Carquest's top of the line plugwires are another great choice.Any Bosch parts,in the garbage can and that is best place for them.

My dad calls BOSCH, BOTCHED! And I agree with him, never have I used anything of theirs and it has been trouble free except the fuel filter on my Cabriolet.

Their wires & plugs that I have used on my Cabriolet have been the pits and I have bought a couple oil filters here/there and they have had rattling components or loose metal filings in the threads in the center hole.

No thank you I will stick with other products.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm a self made master in changing Opti-Sparks on LT-1 Corvettes
grin2.gif
. I've changed the one on my 94 Corvette 2x and have done atleast 5 or 6 others for friends. I can now do a complete plug/wire/optispark change (including waterpump andf coolant flush obviously) in 4 hours max. Forget about people telling you to pull this off or that off. Just take the serpentine belt off and the tensioner and BAM you can easly get the wires on the opti and access it for removal. Also need to remove the lower crank pully and w/p of course. Now this is for the Corvettes - but I am sure the Impala/Roadmasters are similiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back