Spark Plugs Tundra 5.7L 90K Miles

I Replaced some OEM plugs on Tundra 5.7L with 90K miles. Vehicle was running good, just routine maintenance. Plugs shown as removed from engine with the front of the engine being at the bottom of the page. I was shocked to see cylinder #4. Half the insulator was gone. There was not miss or hesitation in the engine with these plugs. Even did a cylinder deactivation test with these plugs and the engine run rough when any cylinder was deactivated. From the condition of that plug it look like it may have been like this right from the factory. Surprised vehicle ran fine and smooth like this. Just thought I would share.
PXL_20210827_173647387.jpg
PXL_20210827_173658889.jpg

I have seen numerous plugs with over 100K on them coming out sf Silverado 5.3s that looked much better than that.

I have seen numerous plugs with over 100K on them coming out sf Silverado 5.3s that looked much better than that.

I've seen some pretty ugly looking plugs on DI Ecotec3 engines. But NOT as bad as the one pictured.

I'd be concerned that cylinder is running lean or had some kind of abnormal combustion took place.

As others mentioned cylinder 4 is something to be concerned with. I'd think about sending the injectors to @Trav to have them checked and cleaned. No point sending off just one injector.

I've seen some pretty ugly looking plugs on DI Ecotec3 engines. But NOT as bad as the one pictured.

I'd be concerned that cylinder is running lean or had some kind of abnormal combustion took place.
If you look closely the #4 insulator is totally cracked and gone. I think it was a bad plug installed at the factory.

Might be worth pulling that plug again. Take a bore scope down that cylinder and see if there is something. Chances are the piece blew out the exhaust or it was missing to begin with.

So you know for sure it's never been hot and those have never been changed. That's interesting... I've never seen that before.
Correct never been hot and even with that plug in its condition it ran smooth. I will pull the plug at every OCI just to keep an eye in it.

As ARB1977 suggested, I will throw a borescope in and compare with another cylinder.

Back