Spark plugs changed after 195k miles, and 15 years, Mercedes S500

Interesting I didn’t know that.
I have been yelled at a few times by customers for putting 16 plugs on the counter when they want plugs for a 6.2 Raptor or SD. Then I tell them to go actually look at their truck. You have coils like on a 2v or 3v mod motor with a wire that goes down like on an LS engine or newer 7.3 gasser.

I believe they went to the dual spark plug design for refinement in the form of a smoother engine without having to spend as much on engineering proper flame propagation in comparison to a single plug design.
these guys knew how to do coil on single plug and were actively using it, the 111 and 119 already had it for years.

the m113 was built to be simpler cheaper stronger and just better. not particularly quiet or super refined but it got the job done.

Last edited:
I have been yelled at a few times by customers for putting 16 plugs on the counter when they want plugs for a 6.2 Raptor or SD. Then I tell them to go actually look at their truck. You have coils like on a 2v or 3v mod motor with a wire that goes down like on an LS engine or newer 7.3 gasser.
Oh so you work in parts? I couldn’t put up with customers like that lol. I’m not familiar with those engines so I haven’t seen the design of the wires but I can imagine what they are like.

I am going to read your linked threads; interesting. I had been trying to find a 4matic of that gen S500 earlier this spring/summer. I found two that were too rough and one lovely one, but I was a day late in finding that one and missed it. ;) I am just about finished tweaking a Volvo XC70 I bought six weeks or so ago; maybe when that's done I'll start looking again for an S500. There's a jag xj12 at auction next week I sure wish I could justify right now (I can't).

There's an 2007 S600 for sale going for 16k. It's a V12 and it also uses two spark plugs per cylinder so that's 24 spark plugs to change. But it's V-12 power and 0-60 in about 5 seconds.

Oh so you work in parts? I couldn’t put up with customers like that lol. I’m not familiar with those engines so I haven’t seen the design of the wires but I can imagine what they are like.
Been doing Ford and Mazda parts for 13 years. Turned wrenches here and a few other places before. It helps a lot with parts having actual experience working on the cars.

Been doing Ford and Mazda parts for 13 years. Turned wrenches here and a few other places before. It helps a lot with parts having actual experience working on the cars.
I sure wish there was more guys like you I have had multiple experiences with unknowledgeable parts people even some of the guys at my dealership. Yesterday I went into a parts store to get a 9mm hex socket to remove the brake calipers on my 2008 Ford Escape since the bearing went out and the guy is like I don’t think that is the size for that usually on Ford it is a 16mm and I said well that’s what it is telling me in the videos and on this website and he said uh ok so I bought it and sure enough it was right went back to get something else and he is like oh so it wasn’t the right size huh and I said no it was and he was like really it wasn’t a 16mm and I said nope. He was like so shocked it was really funny. That’s not the only experiences I have had lol but I like parts guys that have prior experience.

I sure wish there was more guys like you I have had multiple experiences with unknowledgeable parts people even some of the guys at my dealership. Yesterday I went into a parts store to get a 9mm hex socket to remove the brake calipers on my 2008 Ford Escape since the bearing went out and the guy is like I don’t think that is the size for that usually on Ford it is a 16mm and I said well that’s what it is telling me in the videos and on this website and he said uh ok so I bought it and sure enough it was right went back to get something else and he is like oh so it wasn’t the right size huh and I said no it was and he was like really it wasn’t a 16mm and I said nope. He was like so shocked it was really funny. That’s not the only experiences I have had lol but I like parts guys that have prior experience.
Older Fords use 16mm drain plugs, the F75Z-6730-BA number, but not much other than that.

Older Fords use 16mm drain plugs, the F75Z-6730-BA number, but not much other than that.
Yeah I have a 1994 Econoline with a 16mm drain plug. He was trying to tell me that was the size for the caliper on the escape but it was a 9mm hex socket I had to get for it one with a bit in it. I could look at it and tell it wasn’t a 16mm lol I can identify most sizes by just looking at them.

Back