Spark plugs at 32,715 miles. How do they look?

I never used Autolites in anything I touched - but their Iridium XPs seem like a decent aftermarket plug if you can’t get OEM.

Yura was the Korean affiliate of Champion and Beru - both brands of Driv Automotive(Federal-Mogul and Cooper Automotive). That explains why the OEM plugs look like a Champion. Before Hyundai started vertical integration a la Toyota(though Denso and Aisin were de-integrated), Mitsubishi and Bosch set up Korean affiliates when the Korean auto industry was getting off the ground.

recently, Toyota said plugs are good for 60K in a (T)GDI application. Previously, an Ir/Pt plug can go 100K before a change is needed.

I have a 2012, I believe it is the same engine, My mother in law used to own the car, and in 8 years put 20k miles on. She wasn't mechanically inclined, so she drove it to the store, church, and the occasional social event. I don't know if she ever went over 55. When we got the car after she passed, I went through it and checked it over, and when I took it on the highway and really hit it hard it looked like a diesel truck behind it. Had the fuel system serviced and changed the plugs as they were somewhat carbon fouled. I believe I used Bosch. The coils can be a problem, since then I've had to replace 2 but they are extra ordinally easy to do (You can do all 4 in 30 min in the driveway start to finish). My brother is a Hyundai mechanic and said due to the car being outside in northern Wisconsin (-40) and the intermittent driving schedule it takes a toll on them. He explained the off brands are about 90% as good, the factory coils were better primarily due to the testing schedule thy had to do to qualify. If you have the time and money I recommend the factory, but there may not be a discernable difference and it may just be a piece of mind thing for me as they were factory certified.

My engine is a little different. In 2017 they put a 2.0 Atkinson in the Elantra. Great gas mileage on the highway. Regarding coils the OEM one I bought on Ebay is just in case of one of the coils goes bad. I found out I do have the newer design coils listed in Hyundai's TSB so maybe I will be fine. It is good to know OEM is the way to go if needed. Here is the TSB on the coils.

Attachments

• MC-10172218-0001(1).pdf
    611.5 KB · Views: 8
TSB is on the coils. They fail randomly. Plugs is from forum members reporting poor running conditions caused by the plugs or early failure. It happened to a retired Auto engineer. So he gave great detail in what he saw and followed with great reports of how the Autolites performed. I am pretty incompetent with repairs done is a rush (dyslexia). I tend to break things or mix things up. So I choose to change spark plugs early due to the bad rap they have on my own time schedule. It taught me what I need to do to change a coil. Now I could change a coil in 5 minutes without breaking anything. I am happy to report throttle response is improved. I used to have a lag at times. That is gone. Very happy with my choice to change early.
I understand a little better now, thanks for the additional info. In your situation I would probably change early too, just so I'm not pressed to change them in a roadside environment where I might mix things up. Do them in your own time, at your pace and at your convenience, even if a little early.

Spark plugs need changing at 33K miles now???
Just the ones I removed. The ones I put in 100k plus. I would like to test the plugs I removed. I am thinking the deposits on 3 plugs means combustion was not as complete as it could be. I am noticing a slight bump in power and gas mileage.

Here's a spark plug from my '17 Elantra with 64k miles on them. They all looked the same. I swapped them out with Bosch 9686 Double Iridiums. The OE ones looked dirty to me, but I'm unfamiliar with Yura plugs so I don't have much in the way of comparison.
I just replaced the Yura plugs in my 2017 Kia Forte (same engine) at 39,500 miles. All 4 of them looked exactly like yours. They threads were dirty all the way up. It looks like they weren't torqued tight enough. I had the coils replaced under warranty last year after having some issues with misfiring.

NGK finally listed a plug for this engine recently which is # 90909. Napa lists them on their website but they aren't in stock locally yet. I ordered them from ngksparkplugs.com.

The car was running fine but Yura is an unknown brand. I found multiple reports of people having trouble with these Yura plugs in the process of looking for info about them. I feel more comfortable having replaced them with NGK.

Last edited:
This is "worn out" (but still provided necessary ignition). The "V" in V-Power is almost gone.

spark plugs_42k miles 010a.jpg

Sorry for the poor resolution.

The issue with Yura plugs is misfire or poor performance. That requires more than a visual inspection to determine if they are performing within spec.

Like I'd replace them. You take em out, you replace. Nevermind the cost, just do it. The electrode looks flat and rounded at the sides. Just do it.

Back