Spark plugs at 106k miles - Acura CSX

I replaced factory spark plugs (Denso SKJ20DR-M11 iridium) today at 106k miles, 171k kms. It's a 2009 Acura CSX (Canadian specific vehicle) with K20Z2 engine, which is same as Acura RSX base. Replaced it with NGK.

First cylinder (at the very bottom) to the top (4th cylinder).

IMG_1516.jpg

Another picture, all looks same except 3rd cylinder

IMG_1519.jpg

3rd cylinder always runs leaner than the others with all K20/K24 engines, as a result I believe the tip/electrode color is slightly different. Also, it is a PAIN to get to the spark plugs with the 8th gen Civic & K20 engine, as you have to take off the front cowl, plastic trims, as well as metal support that connects both struts. It took me around 1.5 hrs total that includes PCV valve change as well.

I think could have gone longer, but the interval is 105k, also I am WFH since last March, I think it is a nice opportunity to get it done while it sits. When I start driving it actively (60 miles a day), it'd be harder to work on my car(s).

Aside from the electrode/tip color, I am not sure why the tread color is different on the 3rd cylinder plug, any ideas? More heat?

Thanks

Last edited:
Make sure you buy your replacements from authorized dealer. Alot of fake plugs being pushed on ebay and amazon for very low prices.
Thanks for the heads up. I bought it from Rock Auto. I really doubt that they sell fake plugs.

Oh wow, a Civic with Acura badge. That’s interesting

Thanks. It's actually same as JDM/Euro Civic with an Acura badge, and of course made in Canada :cool:.

We still have US spec Civic here, but it comes with R18 engine only, and missing few features.

Thanks for the heads up. I bought it from Rock Auto. I really doubt that they sell fake plugs.

Thanks. It's actually same as JDM/Euro Civic with an Acura badge, and of course made in Canada :cool:.

We still have US spec Civic here, but it comes with R18 engine only, and missing few features.
Oh right, I was referring to a euro civic lol. That’s a nice car, I wanted to buy one back in 2012.

Oh right, I was referring to a euro civic lol. That’s a nice car, I wanted to buy one back in 2012.
Hey it gets the job done, gets me to work and that's all I need :)

I've been driving in since 2017 and bought it at 60k miles, still going strong. There is still no rust on body panels surprisingly.

Hey it gets the job done, gets me to work and that's all I need :)

I've been driving in since 2017 and bought it at 60k miles, still going strong. There is still no rust on body panels surprisingly.
Im dead sure it’s a good car. With Acura badge it prob got some better interior and infotainment. A friend of mine has a TSX - needs nothing but oil changes since 2004

Im dead sure it’s a good car. With Acura badge it prob got some better interior and infotainment. A friend of mine has a TSX - needs nothing but oil changes since 2004
There is no infotainment lol, there is even no fuel economy gauge which is the worst part about the 8th gen civics. I had to get an aftermarket head unit so that I can use Apple CarPlay.

However, when it comes to long term reliability, I think this generation will be better than newer ones. No direct injection, no CVT, and no electronics

There is no infotainment lol, there is even no fuel economy gauge which is the worst part about the 8th gen civics. I had to get an aftermarket head unit so that I can use Apple CarPlay.

However, when it comes to long term reliability, I think this generation will be better than newer ones. No direct injection, no CVT, and no electronics
Maybe in the top trim? I hoped they’ll do it available to all trims since it’s their luxury line
C27B093F-1CA9-43CB-B737-1DDEE84E63FB.jpeg

Oh yeah you are right, they have a head unit that looks like a small TV from 90s, mine is the base trim and totally forgot about this.

Don’t forget to check and adjust the valve clearance.

I will probably do the valve adjustment right before the oil change. I changed the oil around 2000 miles ago and didn't want to waste it.

Also it runs fine, no excessive valvetrain noise when it's cold. K20 valvetrain usually gets noisy after 150-200k miles.

I will probably do the valve adjustment right before the oil change. I changed the oil around 2000 miles ago and didn't want to waste it.

Also it runs fine, no excessive valvetrain noise when it's cold. K20 valvetrain usually gets noisy after 150-200k miles.
Tight exhaust valves will not cause noise.

Tight exhaust valves will not cause noise.
You're right.

I will most likely do it this summer/at the end of oil change interval. Oil condition was the main reason why I didn't do it as there is a chance of contamination (debris etc) I wouldn't want to run the same oil after the adjustment.

Your plugs, honestly look pretty good. Mayhaps the difference in color was due to a not-quite snugged up plug? A little ignition pressure blow-by? Best investment you could make - torque wrenches. Invaluable for putting things in right...not gorilla tight or loosey goosey. ;D

Your plugs, honestly look pretty good. Mayhaps the difference in color was due to a not-quite snugged up plug? A little ignition pressure blow-by? Best investment you could make - torque wrenches. Invaluable for putting things in right...not gorilla tight or loosey goosey. ;D
It was slightly looser compared to other cylinders, but I wouldn't call it loose at all. I believe that could be the case. I really doubt that it's changed before I bought it at 60k miles.

I torqued them down, even slightly over torqued to 15 ft/lbs (manual recommends 13 ft/lbs)

just replaced Denso Iridium long life plugs (stock) for the same on 2005 RSX with174000 mi. (they were changed at 120k before).... looked clean....
amazing K20 Honda engines....
Also put Redline oil in.... because prior original owner changed oil every 3-4k miles since the beginning..... internals are so clean, and the Redline is about to clean it even more. Engine runs like a sewing machine - smooth. I don't anticipate having valve adjustment anytime soon....

Back