Spark Plugs after 30K on 2stroke 300:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was from a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 running Mobil brand gasoline with Supertech brand 2 stroke oil mixed at 300:1. There are only two tanks worth from another station (BP).

A little more than 30K on these plugs, Champion Copper Plus. Stock gap spec is .035, all six wore down to .040. Electrodes appeared ok with exception of rounded edges. These plugs have seen a large amount of idle time.

My only worry is that the cyl#2 plug has light black build up on the lower portion of the ceramic. Nothing heavy or flaky, but am wondering if this may be a cause to some slight tick I hear at warmup.

I would have flattened and re-gaped but they are cheap and Champion offers a 2yr/unlimited mile warranty on new ones.

cyl1
cyl1.jpg

cyl2
cyl2.jpg

cyl3
cyl3.jpg

cyl4
cyl4.jpg

cyl5
cyl5.jpg

cyl6
cyl6.jpg

300:1 is a little rich, Sarge recommends PZ full synthetic 400:1.
This will only increase the price of fueling up by 1%.
We all add 2 stroke oil to our 4 stroke gasoline because:
the oil is good for 2 stroke, therefore, it is twice as good for 4 stroke. also, we want to lube the fuel pump, fuel injectors, and modern gas is c(r!a**!!, has ethanol added, which makes it dry and corrosive, so we add oil to the gas to make our engines run smoother and more powerful. Add one ounce per 5 gallons fuel. (one ounce per 20 litres).

Mileage was about 30K, up top.

Quites down the fuel pump significantly in this vehicle, not sure if it does more than that. I changed the fuel pump in this vehicle once before and well it sucks!

I realize I can go leaner and maybe will next tank, but the plugs and cylinders looked decently clean inside for this ratio I'd say. To be honest I expected some heavy black deposits.

There was no point to this I add 2stroke to my gas, use the same station, use the same oils and figured this would be a good means to see plug condition in a vehicle that runs 2stroke.

Bad reaction to this post so far, ah well at least the lack of heavy deposits makes me sleep well at night.

TCW3 will foul plugs, MMO rate is 320:1, TCW3 is 600:1, those are the suggested rates if you plan on using either product. Sarge suggests TCW3 at 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas, that = a 600:1 ratio, you've doubled that. Cut it back you'll be happy with the results and the engine won't lose any power, the plugs won't foul.

AD

ADFD1, would you say the above plugs are fouled? They look similiar to the ones I pulled back before I started using the 2stroke (TCW3).

I will try 600:1 as you suggest next tank.

NO good will come from running 2-stroke oil in a car engine. What do you think it will do to the Cat over time? As for the fuel pump, that a seal unit, and there is nothing that needs lube. I don't know how 300:1 mix can quite down a fuel pump, it's just not possible. It's butt dyno stuff...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
We all add 2 stroke oil to our 4 stroke gasoline because:
the oil is good for 2 stroke, therefore, it is twice as good for 4 stroke.

Say what?
crackmeup2.gif

BTW, who is this Sarge guy?

Originally Posted By: gomes512
ADFD1, would you say the above plugs are fouled? They look similiar to the ones I pulled back before I started using the 2stroke (TCW3).

I will try 600:1 as you suggest next tank.

The plugs are worn, with some fouling, not terrible. they are due to be changed out. As far as benefits of TCW3, and MMO read the almost 40 pages of info in Sarges thread. In the proper amount it acts as a UCL, and increases compression, some people report better mpg as well.

I like MMO better, because I feel it is less likely to OD an engine with it. I've seen the results of MMO in gas over the years, near perfect plugs after 30,000 miles and better mpgs. Search this site there are a lot of people using it with great results. The key is this, a little is good, too much is not better, it's worse.

Do a little test: Run w/o any gas additives for a few tanks, then get some mpg readings. Add TCW3 at a 600:1 ratio and repeat the test, see if you notice any change. I get a smoother idle with MMO, and so do many other members here. Check and see.

AD

Wow, sure a lot of naysayers in this thread. I bet not a single one of you have any experience with using 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke vehicle, and I bet you haven't read any of the long detailed threads about it.

AD,

I appreciate your replies, yeah I spent a good time reading through Sarge's threads definitely a fun read. I use to be a MMO user and switched to 2stroke since it is dirt cheap. I remember seeing that red oily film inside the chamber when running MMO for a while. Can't say I remember what the plugs look like. In any case I agree with you about the OD thing.

chevrofreak, yeah that plug looks strange to me. I'll keep an eye on that cylinder and see if it happens again. Do you think it could possibly be an injector issue? I'm not to familiar with reading plugs.

I've read through that thread, even have it in the favorites coloum.

One thing though. While the first post has a picture of the pz full syn, it's more important that it be TCW3. I use Supertech myself.

Sarge is some oil guy/tribologist on some other forum who started this 2 stroke oil craze. Because of him, we are all using 2 stroke oil in our gasoline now.... meanwhile... Sarge is LHAO (maybe). Laughing his ___ off

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
NO good will come from running 2-stroke oil in a car engine. What do you think it will do to the Cat over time? As for the fuel pump, that a seal unit, and there is nothing that needs lube. I don't know how 300:1 mix can quite down a fuel pump, it's just not possible. It's butt dyno stuff...

I do realize that it is sealed and I don't know why it is quieter, but I know it actually is and don't believe it to be in my head. I should have saved the old pump to see what it looked like...

As for the cat I had it out last summer when I replaced some of the exhaust components. The combs inside where intact and not blocked (just quick check before I reinstalled it). The exhaust does not have that distinct uncatalyzed odor. I do realize that I have no way of telling the efficiency since my county decided to stop exhaust testing vehicles 94 and older (OBDI).

As for our newer vehicles, none of them run oil in the gas. It's not the cats I'm worried about but all the expensive O2 sensors.

My father was adding MMO to gas long before Sarge and that thread took off, it works well. A lot of guys do it, Sarge didn't invent the idea, but that thread sure did take off! I don't think Sarge is getting anything out of that thread other than positive feedback. I don't think he's selling anything. I can't comment too much on TCW3 since I only used it a little while and keep going back to the MMO. YMMV

AD

Another vote for MMO in the gas. Been doing it for more years than I care to remember, never fouled a plug with it, engines stay clean and run strong. I will continue to use it. I also tried TCW3 but always go back to MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back