Spark Plugs after 30K on 2stroke 300:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: severach
All I know is that 2 cycle oil gums up and leads 2 cycle engines to an early stasis so it isn’t something I’d volunteer for. MMO ungums things.

I’m not much for additives that only work when you add them and I learned some time ago that single additive single tank testing was beyond worthless as there is too much degrading in a powertrain for a single additive to handle. All I read tells me there is too little long term benefit for 2 cycle oil especially when used alone. What MMO and other additives can do for me on this tank is much less important than the cumulative effects over the life of the engine
We have an '82 Johnson that is used many hours every year. It has been run on tcw3 since the grade came out. It's as clean as a whistle when we tear into it. Tcw3 is specifically designed not to gum up or foul plugs. And at 600:1, bean oil probably wouldn't "gum up" a four stroke

The Two cycle oil used for a chain saw or other two cycle engines will cause problems. MMO and TCW3 will cause no problems in such small doses.

I've mentioned this before, many years ago I had a fuel gauge that was hanging up in one of my cars. I had purchased it used and planned on doing some work on it. After about 3 tankfuls or so with MMO added to the gas the gauge was working fine, and stayed that way until I sold the car. There are others who've had similar results.

Yup the in tank float for the sending unit got stuck when I ran it too low. I filled it up and a few days later it was still stuck. I added the tcw3 and it worked itself loose

I've heard that TCW3 helped with sticking floats, I used MMO. Mine took a little longer to free itself, but it sure beated having to do the repair!

Techron fixes fuel lever sensors too - BUT it also cleans your fuel system. Does TCW3 do all this, too? I've never heard of it, so that's why I'm asking. I thought you all were talking about just regular 2cycle oil. SOmeone above said that TCW3 is not like 2 cycle oil.

NOt doubting anyone, because obviously you have documented evidence of your good fortunes using 2cycle oil (or whatever it is) in your tank. My question is why don't the makers of these products sell them for cars? I agree with some other posters that I would be concerned with 02 and Cat converter issues, but then again, you guys are using such a tiny, minute mixture I'm sure there is no short term damage being done. Longterm. we don't know. And, with such a tiny dose, why even bother?

I think for most people the use of TCW3 was price vs. MMO. TCW3 is ashless, regular Two Cycle oil is not. As I mentioned I prefer MMO added to gas. People using TCW3 for long periods of time at the 1 oz rate / 5 gallons of gas have reported slight MPG gains and longer plug life, along with a better running engine. Honestly I can't confirm no deny that, I can tell you MMO works and works well. That is from decades of using it. YMMV

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I don't have enough eyes to roll.

Never heard of "top oil"?

I've used TCW-3 in my 07 Accord for 40k, since NEW. I use it in the 150k CRV too. 3oz/10g I get an mpg bump, and it runs nice. I think 2C is also great for oil burning vehicles and for track use.

Well, I do not use oil in the gas in any of the newer vehicles but running this heavy of a dose in the Jeep has made me confident that I could use TCW3 2stroke in the newer vehicles as well (lighter dose of course).

I pulled the O2 sensor today and it looked about the same as the ones in the Sebring. I don't believe the cat is affected either, as others have mentioned TCW3 2stroke is not motor oil.

Originally Posted By: severach
All I know is that 2 cycle oil gums up and leads 2 cycle engines to an early stasis so it isn’t something I’d volunteer for.

Run a 2 cycle engine without 2 stroke oil and see how fast it reaches stasis.

If 2 stroke oil is so bad, why do they keep using it in 2 stroke engines?

I don't think 2 stroke oil is bad, I think if it is not ashless it is bad for a 4 cycle engine. That is the reason why these guys running TWC3 in their cars are using TCW3 oil, it is ashless. The little 2 stroke engines appear to need the oil that contains the ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back