Spark plug question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the plugs in my KIA today... I figured platinum plugs would be good enough. I pulled out the old ones and found out they were double platinum. This really shouldn't be a problem right? I can tell the car is running better already. The OE plugs were Champion Double-Platinum Power with about 80,000 miles on them. I replaced them with Bosch Platinum Plus. Thanks!

Last edited:
They won't last as long. Platinum is for longevity. Check them in 15k miles, if two plugs are wore out--replace all 4.

Hi.

No problem whatsoever.

Also, a 15,000 mile check? No offense, but that's simply not feasible. They can last much longer than that.

I have great confidence in those spark plugs. They will run at least 60,000 miles.

Platnium plugs are premium plugs and you needn't check them unless you suspect a problem with them until they are finished at 50-75-100,000 miles they will last.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
You are OK but, if the ignition is a waste spark system, then the plugs will not last nearly as long.

Eddie has the best answer but did not explain fully: if you have one coil for each spark plug (or a single coil for all the plugs - with a distributor) - you only need single platinums. if your car uses one coil for every two plugs - then you really should have double plats. it has to do with the direction of the spark and the resulting wear.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

No problem whatsoever.

Also, a 15,000 mile check? No offense, but that's simply not feasible. They can last much longer than that.

I have great confidence in those spark plugs. They will run at least 60,000 miles.

No offense taken but "check" is not the same as replace. And sure you can go 60k, but that isn't optimal. I see cars daily with oe copper at 100k, you can do it but why.

I have also heard that single platinums wear quickly in certain ignition systems where the voltage flows both ways???? (I think it might have been called a waste spark system). I was told this on a forum after I had installed single plats in my B-I-L's Neon.

Yeah like Tomcat explained on wasted spark ignition with 2 cylinders and plugs connected to a coil, one plug is firing and wearing the normal way from the center electrode, while the companion plug is completing the electrical loop and firing and wearing from the side electrode. So for those systems you need a platinum tab on the side electrode as well to prevent and even out wear.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yeah like Tomcat explained on wasted spark ignition with 2 cylinders and plugs connected to a coil, one plug is firing and wearing the normal way from the center electrode, while the companion plug is completing the electrical loop and firing and wearing from the side electrode. So for those systems you need a platinum tab on the side electrode as well to prevent and even out wear.

That's exactly what I read on the Neon forum.

You can't go wrong with double plats.
They covers all bases.
I only use Bosch plugs if the car came with them. We quit using them in the shop otherwise.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You can't go wrong with double plats.
They covers all bases.
I only use Bosch plugs if the car came with them. We quit using them in the shop otherwise.

I think the Bosch copper plugs are good and maybe even the single plats.
It's their 'exotic' double, triple and quadruple platinum (gimmick) plugs that i don't trust.

back in the dark ages i learned two things. if the center electrode wares on the sharp corner, it kills your performance. and there is so much turbulence that sometimes the spark has to jump as much as 1/4 inch. kind of like putting a air nozzle to the spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back