Spark plug noise on AM - suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is one of the spark plug wires. Try looking under the hood on a dark night to see if there is any obvious sparking at the wires. You may just have to replace the one bad wire.

Quote:

I think it is one of the spark plug wires. Try looking under the hood on a dark night to see if there is any obvious sparking at the wires. You may just have to replace the one bad wire.

Pablo's car is telling him he should buy a diesel.

Actually I'd love a diesel. The right one just isn't on the market yet and the fuel is too dear. But it seems my commute is about perfect.

Quote:

It's not RF, real and pure spark noise.

Good ideas.

I'll also do the lights off stray spark test tonight.

BTDT. NO stray sparks noted.

I went ahead and spent $103 for cap, rotor and wires.

I once heard an idea which might help. Take a portable battery-powered radio into the car with you. If you notice the interference on the portable radio, then the interference is coming through the air. If not, it's coming through a wired connection.

I, like you, like AM radio. Sports, talk, ESPN radio, etc.

crw - simple as it sounds that is a crazy good idea. I could even rig it to detect in the engine compartment.
stirthepot.gif
banana.gif
cheers.gif

Thanks!

The radio appears to work the same. As I stated the antenna is in the window (glass) (rear left panel). The reception has never been great with this set-up, but I never had continuous spark noise until now.

Pablo, you might have an RF condenser that's gone bad. You know what they look like; a round cylindrical gizmo about an inch long. They're usually attached to the ignition coil, but may be on the distributor, voltage regulator, etc.

Also look for a small UFO wedged in the front grill. They'll cause all sorts of electrical havoc in Volvos.....
ufo.gif

Check/replace your capacitor on your igntition [the one on the hot lead for noise suppression].
You may have an internal open on a plug or wire, also. It will fire across the gap, but take full current to do so, and cause noise.

Quote:

I'll also do the lights off stray spark test tonight.

Condenser, as has been suggested, or, you might already be familiar with this: lightly water mist the spark plug wires, dizzy cap, and wires to the ignition coil. Night test - let eyes adjust - tweak the throttle for a bit of extra load and thoroughly see what you see (I use a mirror, with some small distance, when needed)...

As a matter of fact - I did have a spare 4.2 minutes on Saturday. So I changed the plug wires, cap and rotor. WOW was the cap nasty inside - but this did no good (well except the car runs even better - can't wait to see the MPG!) Seems like all is perfectly well with the engine and it's grounds. (No sparky spark noticed on night test)

Car has no condenser/cap. on the ignition.

Have not done small radio test as wife sucked up ear bud in the vacuum. I did unplug the radio and checked all the connections, everything was nominal.

I am starting to think it is just the khrappy window antenna - but why all of a sudden? OR it could be some noise surpression circuit in the radio itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back